Measuring diffraction efficiency of holograms?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

I've seen a number of claimed results for various films and chemistries, but have never seen an explanation of the technique that the authors used for diffraction efficiency measurement. I can think of a number of ways of doing this, but I just wondered if there was a standard, reproducible method described somewhere.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

When I read of tests on chemistry/film combinations the diffraction efficiency is measured by making a grating and measuring the diffracted or reflected light. For an actual hologram it is much harder. Putting a background behind an object will increase the overall efficiency and decrease the efficiency of the actual object. Is this bad? I don't think so. I like creative backgrounds. Sand from a sand table makes an interesting background.

If your goal is to improve the process then perhaps a grating is the way to go. If your goal is to make interesting/provocative art then it is only one rung on the ladder.