Crystal Laser info

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Michael Harrison

Crystal Laser info

Post by Michael Harrison »

I sent off for a quote recently and thought some of you might be interested...

"We provide single longitudinal mode red, green and blue lasers. The coherence length is >5 meters.
All CW red laser listed in our web, the maximum available power or a little less power is same price. all red laser including power supply.

single longitudinal mode and TEMoo mode laser $2950
Standard TEMoo mode laser $2550
638 nm, 25 mW; 658 nm, 50 mW; 690 nm, 30 mW; 785 nm, 80 mW

The price for the red laser are $2950 each including power supply. Delivery is 2 weeks after received the order.
The single longitudinal mode laser is no mode-hopping.
It is external cavity semiconductor laser.
The green single longitudinal mode laser provide >100 meter coherence length, we made them up to 150 mW.

GCL-010-S 10 mW $4981
GCL-025-S 25 mW $5732
GCL-050-S 50 mW $7492 "
Michael Harrison

Crystal Laser info

Post by Michael Harrison »

Tianfeng Jin
CrystaLaser

Address:
4750 Longley Lane, Ste 205
Reno, NV 89502, USA
Email: jin@crystalaser.com http://www.crystalaser.com
Phone: 775.348.4820
Fax: 775.348.7047
Greg G

Crystal Laser info

Post by Greg G »

Great profit margin on the external cavity laser. I'd be a little leery of the <100mt coherence length spec on the green laser and would ask for temporal data ( <100mt for how long?? 1hr, 24 hrs, 5 microseconds?)
Paulos

Crystal Laser info

Post by Paulos »

I own a DPSS-laser from Crystalaser (100 mW, single longitudinal mode).
It is current and temperature stabilized (such like the diode lasers of AnalogTechnologies).
It remains very stable, (coherence length >100m for days)
... However I would non encourage anyone to buy such a laser for display holography.
Although they sell their laser as single mode, THEIR LASER ARE NOT SINGLE MODE.
Here 's what they answered, when I told them that I have problems with a second mode (contour-banded hologram):
"The green laser always come with 3% to 5% in side mode.
this is difficult to eliminate completely.
How strong the the second mode? if it is about 5%, it is difficult to remove.
you may reduce the power to see if it will be weaker or not?"

I reduced the power, but the problem remains the same.
Greg G

Crystal Laser info

Post by Greg G »

Sounds like they cut a corner or two on optimizing the coatings. Easy to do if it's out of house ( you're paying for it ) and you're in a hurry to market.
Joe Farina

Crystal Laser info

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks for sharing this important information.

Previously, I was taking a close look at those lasers, even though the costs were quite high. But I had no real doubts about their usefulness for holography (!)

It would seem that no DPSS laser is beyond question. Recently, I have been looking for a second-hand Coherent 315M. Does anyone have experience with that laser?

Greg G

Crystal Laser info

Post by Greg G »

They can be great lasers to work with..But, due to the entertainment business, there's a bigger market for bright shiny lights than for stable holography capable systems. If I was going to drop a grand ( or more ) on a laser, it had better have great specs for holography and mean them..
Joe Farina

Crystal Laser info

Post by Joe Farina »

As Paulos made painfully clear, the "specs" or manufacturer's claims for a DPSS laser cannot be used as a guarantee against banded holograms.

The only statement that would be useful for us would be "no contour-banded holograms or your money back" or something like that.

That's why I asked the specific question about the Coherent 315M. Has anyone had experience with it for holography?
John Klayer

Crystal Laser info

Post by John Klayer »

I was getting very close to putting in an order for one of these Crystal Lasers then I did a search on this group and found the coments about sliced bread holograms using their external cavity laser diodes. Their latest web page claims greater than 50 meter coherence length and 75 mW in the red not using an external cavity diode but a crystal. Can a crystal make red and would it be any more coherent?

wler

Crystal Laser info

Post by wler »

Lots of people use the Coherent 315M successfully for holography. It is probably the best bargain for a 100mW laser. There had been numerous discussions about it in this forum, just look around !