Light - Somewhat off topic

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
JohnFP

Light - Somewhat off topic

Post by JohnFP »

I hope I am not completely off topic here but loving holography the way I do I often wonder what exactly is light and how do it's dual natures exist. So I have a thought I want to throw out there.

If light travels at the speed of light and time stops for anything traveling at the speed of light then that means that time stops for light. If time stops for light then that "everyton" (my word for that particle) can be everywhere at the some instant and is stuck in that time instant. Thus all light in a single instant is exactly the same "everyton". Now for the next instant then there must be another "everyton". So for light to traverse it must be able to communicate with the "everyton" in the next instant and modify its behavior such that it seems to be a single particle moving in space and ultimately time. It basically tells the next "everyton" where to be at that instant the transition is made from one instant to the next which can be in multiple places. This is easy as there is no time for that "everyton" and it can be everywhere at the same time in that instant.

This would explain the dual nature of light, why it acts like a particle and yet a wave that seems to be part of the particle before. This would also explain the experiments by (I cannot remember) where two particles were made to travel away from one another and when the spin was altered to one the other instantly spun the other way even though the two were moving away from one another at the speed of light. The two "everytons", even though it seems to us are disconnected by space and time because of their travel, when we alter one the information gets passed on to the next instant which is what we observe. So this way the communication with the two particles could seem to travel faster then the speed of light but would not violate that rule. The "everytons" are able to communicate seemingly faster then the speed of light because every instant is connected to the next instant and every "everyton" is connected by more then one relationship to the "everyton" in the next instant. In other words the "everyton" communicates with its neighboring "everyton" infinitely many times at the same instant. Now this only works for things traveling at the speed of light like a photon. It does not hold for things moving slower then the speed of light. It also explains interference as the information from the previous instant tells it to be at the same place twice in that next instant or not at all depending upon the information the “everyton” has at each of the two spots. So interactions with things that are time dependent like holographic film or our eyes observe a quantum of light disappearing or being twice as bright. Remember since the "everyton" can be everywhere at once it can tell the "everyton" in the next instant two pieces of information which determines it to not being at that particular location, being at that particular location or being at that particular location twice in the same instant and any combination thereof.

Well, does anyone see any flaws with this theory? It is hard to put down what I mean with words but if you have any questions regarding my thoughts let me know and I will try to explain specifically. I think I could actually graphically represent it with a three dimensional grid with an x a y and a z that is both space and time and expands. It would be simplistic and get the thought across but in actuality the expansion would be to enormous to represent from one instant to the next. Think of a sheet of graph paper with boxes 1 mm square. Now put a (1) or a (2) or a (3) or leave the box blank. Do this randomly for all boxes. That is one instant. The numbers only represent a different piece of information. Then the next instant would be a piece of graph paper where the boxes are 1 cm square laid flat on the first piece. Thus 100 squares in the first graph could alter 1 square in the next graph in many different ways. And so on.

There you have it, John Pecora's theory on the dual nature of light. Far out, huh? Anyone want to build on this, it is open for modifications?

Good night to all!