Another Holographic application

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"The sixties are gone? "
I hate to be the one to break it to you, Colin, but Janis Joplin sings with the fishes.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Chris Outwater and Craig Newswanger made large (3x4'?) transmission holograms for Disney in the early '80s. They were for a ride at Epcot Center, I believe. Eric Van Hammersveld was also involved. After the project, they bought the equipment from W.E.D. and started Advanced Dimensional Displays in Van Nuys, CA. The holograms made for Disney apparently just didn't have enough "bang for the buck", but the beautifull large format stereograms and the famous "Lovely Rita" holodisk made by Craig & Chris with the equipment certainly did. If I remember correctly, Craig came to Holotown by way of the Epcot Center project, as an employee of W.E.D.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"Chris Outwater and Craig Newswanger made large (3x4'?) transmission holograms for Disney in the early '80s."
I knew about that, but Gregg says they're 4'x 8', I didn't know if that was meant to be 3'x 4' or are there 4'x8' holograms out there?

"After the project, they bought the equipment from W.E.D. and started Advanced Dimensional Displays in Van Nuys, CA."
In fact I interviewed at ADD around about '87 or so. I believe Craig was the one interviewing me. During the interview Craig asked me about Francis Tuffy, who'd also applied for the position. At the same time Francis (who I used to work with at Icon) sent me a letter asking me about ADD. Francis got the job. I guess my pride and joy, an 8x10 DCG pseudo-color with vivid red and green seperation, didn't impress Craig!
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

Back from the Bay area...

I was told that they were set up to manufacture 4x8' plates and for developing such beasts. But I doubt they could expose something that large and were probably cutting them up.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Bob

"and the famous "Lovely Rita" holodisk made by Craig & Chris"

Do you know of anyone who can still produce a holodisk, and can you point me in the direction of any images of the "Lovely Rita" you mentioned?

Thanks

Andy
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

I bought one ( with the light and turntable ) back in the days of Gary Zellerbach's LA Museum of Holography and could take a few pics. Derek Galon at the Royal Holographic Art Gallery in Victoria, BC. ( Canada ) had a dozen or so of the disks around the shop on my last visit up there. I don't think they're on the website ( http://www.holograms.bc.ca/indexnew.html ) but drop him an email.. He's a nice guy and pretty good about finding things. Film prices aren't bad either.
danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

grovey...way cool
Craig Newswanger

Post by Craig Newswanger »

Just about everything we did at A.D.D. was done on Agfa film which was ~42" wide. We made some gratings that were 42" x 80". We had a film holder that was 4'x8' (outside dimensions).

We never tried to coat our own plates. Just figuring out how to develop large film at that time was a challenge.

I was peripherally involved in the Holography at Disney.(maybe 10% of my time.) The biggest hologram to get into a ride at Epcot was 42" x 60" I believe. It was called "Deep Thoughts" It had a real image hologram and a virtual image sandwiched or laminated together. The key players at the time were Chris Outwater, Eric Von Hamersveld and Alan Robinson.

Regards,
Craig Newswanger