Another Holographic application

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

One someone could start a business for.

How about making 8" by 10" holographic letters for signs. They could be arranged to spell anything and would take advantage of the angle of the sun in daytime. Actully change colors as the sun angle changes or the viewer angle changed. At night time they would have an overhead array of quartz halogens to illumintate then, one for each letter. On cloudy days the hallogens would also come on. Periods when the illuminating angle or light was not right or the observers angle was not right could be supplimented by having "paper" letters behind each of the holgoraphic letters that can be seen as normal.

Simply make a master of each letter then build up an inventory.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

You ready to make 26 - 8x10 reflection masters tuned to 488?
I will contact copy them into 8x10 DCG and build up the inventory. Should I process then for broadband or give them that multi-color psychedelic effect?

Hehehe!!!
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"How about making 8" by 10" holographic letters for signs."
Too late! http://www.rayvel.com/consumer.html holocator

JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Close but no cigar. That is probably, and I don't know for sure, just a holographic grating. I am talking about 8" x 10" billboard signs you would hang in time square. Multiple letters with multiple rows if necessary!
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"You ready to make 26 - 8x10 reflection masters tuned to 488? "
Sure, if you give enough time to coat and shoot. Don't expect them by the weekend!

"Should I process then for broadband or give them that multi-color psychedelic effect?
Multicolor could be good, psychedelic may be a liitle dated. There are enough people out there who think holography is what LSD-loaded hippies who don't realise the 60's are gone do anyhow. We don't need to add to that number!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

"There are enough people out there who think holography is what LSD-loaded hippies who don't realise the 60's are gone do anyhow."

The sixties are gone?
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

These aren't gratings. My understanding is that these are holograms of numbers and letter, done one master at a time, as you suggested. They're apparently pretty hot. Joe has placed them in a mail order catalogue and for a while he was impossible to contact 'cos he was too busy mailing out holographic street addresses.
Outdoor billboard signs have been talked about forever (certainly in the last twenty years since I've been in the game). there's also the :"when I look out of my window, can you make a hologram so can I see the Swiss Alps?", "The Holographic Human picking out an object at a Supermarket", "The Holographic mountain in the path of a roller-coaster so it looks like the riders are going to crash into the side of a mountain only to miraculously go through it" etc. etc. There should be an Urban Legends of Impossible Holograms printed one day! The problem with outdoor anything is that it's only visible at a certain time of day at a certain season, when the sun is exactly at the reconstruction angle. True, you could do it as a single-beam Denisyuk, but you need to get the plane off the sun going through the center of the hologram, which it does at a particular season. At any other time you'd get a lot of distortion. Brightness is another problem, Silver is not bright enough, DCG is a time-consuming process so you have to charge a small fortune for essentially a gimmick and photopolymer is not as available (until Martin and Sergio go into production!). Zebra were doing great work, but I've not seen any of their stuff in public.
By the way, Disney is another dream of holographers, there are none here in California.I understand Disneyworld, Florida, has holograms, but the people that tell me this can't tell me if it's just gratings or images of objects. No, the ghosts are not holograms.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

So they make a hologram of a number, frame the image with white material cut to fit it to get a retroreflective sign? Cool and tech but does it work any better than stock 3M retro film in the same sort of mask configuration? 3M's Diamond VIP film is pretty bright stuff and comes in a variety of dispersion angles and colors. But I like the little holo "back light" from my watch.

Nice dissection of the problems of outdoor holograms. Turning bugs into features, there was an artist a few years ( decades ? ) ago that made a holographic sundial/calendar for a display piece. Someone even patented one ( US 5,732,473 ).

Disney made a number of very large display holograms ( up to 4'x8' )in the mid to late 80s but the "rides" in the parks( specifically the Haunted Mansion )mostly use a combination of updated Victorian stage techniques and the art of constraining the audience's field of view/interest to what you want them to look at when you want them to look at it. The guys I've talked with in Orlando said that holographics were far too limited and expensive..That may have changed with the advent of synthetics like Zebra Imaging.

I've seen examples of their computer generated imagery up close at my last job but Zebra Imaging was also touting their public displays at the Dallas Airport. An exhibit on synthetic holography at the MIT Tech museum ( the one that bought the NYC Museum of Holography collection intact )also had some precursor work from the Media Lab. It's well worth the trip if they re-run the exhibit. There was a wonderful 6"x8" integral of several hundred electron microscope views of a mineral sample as well as some nice color commercial work.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

So you mean I HAVE to get rid of the geeenees and blueees?

Just kidding, broadband it the way to go!
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"Disney made a number of very large display holograms (up to 4'x8' )in the mid to late 80s"
I did not realise anyone had ever made such large pieces let alone Disney! Any non holographer I've showed my pieces to has always said, "Have you tried Disney?". Any idea where these holograms are?