Where are all the holograms?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I cannot believe Playboy has not exploited holography. Have they ever had a holographic model in their magazine?
Mark Cavin

Post by Mark Cavin »

Market them to new agers as light quality meters; the better the quality of the light the sharper the image and thus the better the conditions are for channeling ancient alien beings. Convince people of the dangers of impure lighting and of the spiritual significance of narrowband point sources. With these devices it is possible to measure directly the quality of your light.. Don’t get caught in a bad lighting situation, if you ever bought magnetic bracelets or a Yani album then this is for you!!!!
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Around 1983 they had an anaglyph (red/green glasses) centerfold. On the front cover they claimed to have the world's first ever 'holographic' centerfold. At the time I was working for Applied Holography and I believe they were thinking of suing Playboy because of the negative publicity of associating holography with Playboy centerfolds. Whether this was a joke or whether they actually did it I don't know. These were decisions taken at an 'upstairs' level.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

You should visit Laser Reflections in person sometime.. The Olsens have quite a collection of holograms that Playboy would be interested in. I would be very surprised if they hadn't discussed promotional materials. ( But printing them in the mag might be a bit of a problem and there's that "we'd like color" thing again.) Ron and Bernadette's work is amazing and has a nice sepia tone look that reminds me of older black and white photos.
Michael Harrison

Post by Michael Harrison »

It would be interesting to find out the reader's reactions to such a hologram.

Laser Reflections has a Playmate Collection that I've heard is quite good. I'm certain that the images on the web don't do them justice but the images are available through this link
http://www.laserreflections.com/playmates.html

Being fond of the female form, I've thought about doing this sort of thing but I don't think wifey would be too keen on that idea. Actually, I know she wouldn't.

I have yet to see a good modern (IE, post 1989) portrait hologram live. The stills on the web seem dead to me but I've been told that when viewing the real thing it's much better now than when Ruby lasers were used.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

A good holoportrait is a little creepy. Aside from the monochrome aspect, they're people frozen in time.

Ruby laser based portraiture always seemed to be a bit funny to me, mostly due to the need to wear heavy makeup. ( Humans are slightly transparent to red light ) At 532nm, you see skin tones and shading..

The Olsens are also connected with an erotica gallery.. When the kids aren't around, check this link...http://www.lovings.com/gallery/intense/index.htm Not quite like seeing their work in person but you can get the idea.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

We have visited them.

They used to throw a party for visiting attendees of SPIE every year. I heard they are no longer in SF but have moved to Seattle.
Portraits were also done by Edwina Orr and Dave Traynor at Richmond (http://www.holonet.khm.de/jross/collection/orr.html). They also did some stunning work with black-and-white reflection portraits using pseudocolor techniques.
The reason that holo-portraits are so creepy is also because the laser reflects off the sub-cutaneous layers. At this level, the usual lines and creases of an average face don't show up. There's also an impression that such line-less and crease-less faces only occur after death. Edwina and Bernadette have to apply a lot of makeup to reflect off the upper cutaneous layer. If you ever saw a picture of a model before the shooting, it looks bizarre.
Ron and Bernadette have taken pictures of Playboy bunnies. The girls came in one-by-one and had their pictures taken. However, the pictures belonged to them (the girls, that is) and so Ron and Bernadette don't show them.
Here are more pictures from the various SPIE conferences: http://triple-take.com/holo_photos/pictures_page.htm.
I intend to post some of the pics from PCGGI soon. Also, Ken Dunkley has kindly sent me some picture of the SPIE he attended (2001?). I'll post those also.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

Alas, that wasn't mine..Aside from the occasional fun image for the lobby or a senior manager's office, much of my work then was double exposure ( and pulsed ) holography. Sort of an alternative to what we do with finite element analysis these days. ( Here's a turbine blade at 10Khz and 1KPSI torsional load...)

Agreed. Display holograms don't mass market well though there are hundreds of non-display products now. Holo " backlights" on watches and cell phones, holographic "heads up" gun sight, CD authentication...

Synthetics like Zebra Imaging should fit right into textbook graphics since their generation costs are way down and they love digital data sets. But they seem to be focussed on the niche market of trade show/board room imagery and one off advertisements. Good money but you spend a lot of time finding the next job. Books would be a nice venue since the lighting is usually good anyway. Holography Marketplace was always a fun example to pull out and show people but I haven't seen one of those since 1999.
Greg G

Post by Greg G »

I usually drop in when I'm in the bay area but haven't ever made it to the SPIE parties.. They're great people and I'm looking forward to them being in my "neighborhood" ( though a ferry ride away ).

I've seen a lot of their portraits up close and personal. The ones with non-caucasian skin tones are quite impressive sans makeup.

Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The studio will remain in SF for a couple of more years. When their lease is up it will move to Seattle.