Glass substrate?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
bruce

Glass substrate?

Post by bruce »

What are you DCG folks using for glass substrate? Do you strip-off old silver plates or is there a source for new glass? I seem to remember that plain old window glass won't work because tolerances (flatness) wasn't good enough.
I'd like to try making my own silver film at some point but I need a source for glass firstly.

Bruce
JohnFP

Glass substrate?

Post by JohnFP »

Very interesting subject. I have not kept track of which glass is what but I know for a fact that the 5 x 7 prayer hands on my web page are definitely window pane glass. I know this because I had no 5 x 7 holograms laying around that I could stip. I believe I had both stripped old holo plates and new single pane window pane for my last set of 5 Vodka bottles and I saw no difference.

So to answer you question, I use window pane glass. SIngle thickness for 4 x 5 and Double thickness for 5 x 7.

I have also heard that some glass has a grain that affects the hologram, probably with polarization, but I have not been able to determine the "grain" so research needs to be done in that area.

Since I am completely out of glass, I will be buying more window pane glass and will make some holo's this weekend again.

Jean

Glass substrate?

Post by Jean »

I always use window glass for DCG, silver halide or photopolymer plates.
I don't care about flatness, because home-made plates (coating, sensitivity,...) have more defaults than commercial ones.
It's always a good news when someone tries to make home-made plates.
Good lucks.

PS : I guess you have read the Jeff Blyth diffusion method.

PSBis : By the way, if you have interest about holographic materials, Martin has developed a new polymer for holography.

Tom M

Glass substrate?

Post by Tom M »

Window glass is made by the "float glass" process. The glass is "floated" over molten tin. As flat as gravity can make it. The next step in flatness is lapping the glass. Price for float glass about $1.00 sq ft. Price for lapped glass about $35.00 sq ft.
"Grain" in glass is totally random unless the glass is tempered, then the polarization is all over the place and the glass is not going to be flat.
The "tin side" of the glass can cause problems with other chemicals or adhesian. Determining the "tin side" is a trick without the "magic tool", about $150.00. I don't have one and don't intend to get one anytime soon.
JohnFP

Glass substrate?

Post by JohnFP »

Yet another area to research. I can immediately tell which side of the glass is flat and which side has a texture to it. From what I understand the top side (not the liquid metal side) is fire polished. Not sure which side is smooth and I have not experiemented with coating the different sides. The way I can tell this is after I clean and wash my plates I let them 1/2 dry, with just a little moisture on them. I then wipe them very hard with Brawny paper towel, flipping the towel often. They start to squeek then become dry. When they are dry there is more friction on one side.

I guess I will have to try to coat different sides, fabricate, create and process the same and see if there are any differences.

If you look at my 5 out of 5 Vodka bottle hologram you can see a wavy side of the emulsion and a relatively strait side of the emulsion (right or left). Some of the hologram were make with this side to the left and some to the right. This has nothing to do with the glass but does have to do with which side of the plate was the top of the veil and which was the bottom in my coating process. The wavy side was the top side.