Manipulating holographic images?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
steven

Post by steven »

Do you believe that in the future (lets say 100 years later), manipulating holographic images could be possible (like those interface concepts shown in minority report and paycheck)? And why yes or no?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Do you mean edit, airbrush, synthesize? Sure - if you can manipulate the speckles, you control the image. The hardware and software is a lot closer than a hundred years.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I think you can do it now, albeit crudely.
Detectors that detect in 3D are already available. If such a detector were to be placed to detect something within a cube in front of the hologram, eg a finger position and you correlated the detector with the x,y,z co-ords of the image field, then the response from the detector would determine where in x,y,z space your finger was and where in the same space the 'manipulating object' (a holographic button, eg) was or was not. On detection, you could alter the reconstruction beam to another one showing another hologram. You do need pretty good Bragg selectivity to make this work in practice.
steven

Post by steven »

thats just what i wanna hear. thanks a lot!

steven

Post by steven »

well, i mean controlling digital objects (images) in the air.
for example, a holographic user interface, with buttons etc...

Arturo

Post by Arturo »

They've already done this at MIT:

http://www.media.mit.edu/groups/spi/hapHolog.htm
steven

Post by steven »

wonderful example arturo, thanks!
one more question, do you think that in the future a pen tool is not needed anymore to interact with those holographic images? just only with bare hands?

Arturo

Post by Arturo »

I'd bet on that... have you seen the new playstation games in wich a webcam type of camera captures the player's motions allowing games in which there is no need for a controller-pad, and the kids can "kill bugs" on screen just moving their hands? That would be one way to go... probably, combining that with electromagnetic fields measures will end up giving enough precission to substitute any other device.

Or at least you can probably reduce that to a sensitive glove already
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

What's "haptic"? I can guess from the context, but I've never heard the word.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Or could you use retinal scanning and head tracking, making anything "digital" unecessary?