Beach holography anyone?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Michael Harrison

Beach holography anyone?

Post by Michael Harrison »

With thanks to John Klayer and Dr. Jeong (via Dinesh Padiyar) for giving me the idea to try this.

http://www.dragonseye.com/holography/2004_05.html may21

---------------------------
If someone says it can't be done but they haven't tried it, don't believe them.
http://www.dragonseye.com/Holography

Are you going to the next PCG Gathering?
http://www.dragonseye.com/Holography/PCGGI.html
bruce

Beach holography anyone?

Post by bruce »

Do you thinks it's time for "holographers anonymous"? Maybe 12 steps!

Bruce
Michael Harrison

Beach holography anyone?

say what?
danny bruza

Beach holography anyone?

Post by danny bruza »

ive done that before
bruce

Beach holography anyone?

Post by bruce »

Some of my dry British wit! My Wife would would "replace" me if I took holo equipment on a romantic vacation with me!
danny bruza

Beach holography anyone?

Post by danny bruza »

i should have know i was deep into 12 steps
Michael Harrison

Beach holography anyone?

No, I married a geek. She's been helping me plan what I need to take and I'm certain she'll be looking for good subjects as much as I will be.

John Klayer

Beach holography anyone?

Post by John Klayer »

It should work. I made a hologram in my back yard on the ground. If I ever get my laser from Analog Technologies I'll be doing some more in a cave.
Or desert or riverbed or

Beach holography anyone?

Post by Or desert or riverbed or »

I had never really thought about trying outdoor holography... If the wind's not blowing too hard it should be nice and stable out there, but uncontrollable local temperature changes might pose a problem with diode lasers... Maybe an insulated package for the laser and a lot of thermal mass to keep the diode temperature from changing much during exposures? Could maybe measure with a high-resolution thermometer and see if this is a real problem. I think I would also want to make some sort of portable frame that would hold the laser at a fixed Brewster angle from the plate holder. A remote shutter would be nice, too. Rest the plate holder up agaist the object, wait, and expose.

Since clean water for rinsing is likely in short supply outdoors, one could wait until returning home before developing (at some unknown risk of latent image fading) or develop immediately, partially rinse and use a stop bath until the plate could be rinsed clean and bleached at home. The rinse water container could also be used as part of the thermal mass needed to temperature stabilize the laser.

Also needed is an easily understood explanation for local law enforcement officials as to exactly what you are doing out there in the middle of the night with your green flashlight and laser contraption. Showing some sample holograms may help to persuade them that you are weird, but not dangerously weird. It's worth a try. If all else fails, decohere with your current reference and reconstruct at HoloCulture invasion headquarters for debriefing and reassignment.
John Klayer

Beach holography anyone?

Post by John Klayer »

I developed my cave holograms about 8 hours after exposure.