off-main-forum gallery for our imagery?

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

What do you all think of an idea to have a section where we can display our stuff, our own gallery. It seems that we're getting bogged down into seeing each other's holograms and asking for critiques and methods of our own work with very little discussion of holography itself. I wonder that if we're still 1 in Google and people trying to understand holography come to us, all they see is a self-congratulatory, mutual appreciation club of fairly simple imagery and a how-do-I-do-this-for-my-image sort of question and answer. It seems we're going back to the days of skulls and chess pieces and asking each other to marvel at our chess pieces and ask each other how to make a better chess piece. While I think encouragement is important for those trying to make holograms whether new to the field or returned or as a hobby, it should be more than just this and nothing more. This seems hardly the way to progress the field, if anything we seem to be moving backwards.

However, if we had a gallery section where we could ask advice that would benefit holographers in general with their techniques, post pictures of our holograms (chess piecves included!) etc, we could then present a forum that discusses holography as a relevant subject and perhaps advance the field to the general public.
I notice that for a while now there's been nothing of general techniques, general methods and general ideas on holographic methodologies. While the PCG meeting was exciting and new, we seem to have lost the momentum. Perhaps then we could involve both holographers, non-holographers and people interested in finding out about holography - what it is, how relevant it is and what are it's limitations and strengths.
danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

http://4c-s.org/v-web/gallery...... i would if this would work hehehehe...see spot run ... run spot run...see jane run after spot
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I like the idea of having a gallery but I respectfully disagree that we are posting too many photos or congratulations. I for one asked to see other's works and most if not everyone here not only posted a photo but the actual steps taken, film used, table configuration, processing techniques and lighting with their hologram. I for one love that stuff and although I am not into silver, I believe that the information contained about and with the photo is very beneficial.

Hey, but what do I know, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Hehe...

Truly anyway anyone decides to take this board is OK with me, As long as I can post and read other Holographers posts. I just love communicating with other Holographers.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Perhaps we need to subdivide the main HolographyForum.org domain into extra sub-domains such as pro.HolographyForum.org and photos.HolographyForum.org, with links to these on the very general HolographyForum.org site?

Colin, you mentioned a new forum coming on-line soon, are any of these types ideas supported, ie: gallery, profesional section, novice, etc.

Larry

Post by Larry »

Colin, I like general content you supply on http://www.designerinlight.com/holo/index.htm. Maybe this could be mirrored on a permanent basis(minus the personal intro?) to the "general" area.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

As soon as the new forum is running my next focus will be finishing a FAQ. My site was set up to show different solutions to the problem of mechanics fo holography. I hope the FAQ will get people throught the questions of holography. The gallery, which is now the links at the bottom of the page, will show our work. Bit by bit we are getting there. It will save us a lot of effort if we work together. Danny, I will shortly need some help on the forum server, I will send you a password if you are willing to help.

danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

did you like the pcg gallery...
im your slave...
your servent danny