I was wondering...

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
John Pecora

I was wondering...

Post by John Pecora »

If we could get the word Hologram(s) protected in some way such that for an item to be called a Hologram in the public domain it has to meet certain criteria. This would not be for the protection of an individual, company or organization and not for profit just for the protecton of and incorrectly used word. A hologram takes a lot of work and perserverance and if the public has a misrepresentation then it retards a very unique art form, one that may actually die because of the misuse. Anyone have knowledge on the subject or know a lawyer? If not, I may make it my lifes work to clear up the misunderstangings the public has. You can help too. Whenever you see something that is not a hologram called a hologram, speak up and correct the offender. Now, how do I get in touch with George Lucas?
Larry

I was wondering...

Post by Larry »

One definition of a hologram/holography from an online dictionary is:
The science, technology and art of producing recorded images which appear three dimensional to the human eye. Lenticulars and photographic stereograms can definately fall into that description.

Also, American Heritage Dictionary defines the following...

holo- Whole; entire; entirely...
gram - something written or drawn...

...meaning in our case that all the information (entire) to reproduce the wavefront of a 3D scenen is "written" into the emulsion.

Perhaps another word to more accuratley describe the final product that you make on silver halide, DCG and photopolymers is what you are looking for?

Dinesh

I was wondering...

Post by Dinesh »

It gets trickier than that! The word "holograph" existed before Gabor's invention. It meant, and still means according to the Concise Oxford Dictionary 10th ed, "A manuscript handwritten by its author". Gabor originally used "Wavefront Reconstruction" since that's what a hologram strictly does. Papers in the 50's also referred to it as such. Leith and Upatnieks wrote their paper for using off-axis reference as a communications paper using the concepts of sideband encoding in communications, since they were working on sideband radar at the time. If anyone wants these original papers let me know.
I don't know when the word 'hologram' first appeared, but whoever coined it in the sense of 'whole image' probably never knew the meaning of 'holograph' in the legal sense. In the papers from ca '65 onward the word appears in the modern sense but in the 50's I've not found any references yet. If anyone knows, I'd be interested.
JohnFP

I was wondering...

Post by JohnFP »

So maybe that's what holography needs. A new buzz word that has a definition that is indicitive of what a 3d image on film really is.

Any suggestions out there?
Dannybruza

I was wondering...

Post by Dannybruza »

in real image......hehehe
danny bruza

I was wondering...

Post by danny bruza »

wich is latin for Realimage
JP

I was wondering...

Post by JP »

OK, if "-graph" is a scribed representation of a form, "-gon" is a 2-dimensional shape (i.e. pentagon, hexagon, etc), and "-hedron" (octahedron) is a 3-dimensional form,
then we shouldn't talk of holographs, holograms, or even hologons, but HOLOHEDRONS!!!

...I claim patent authorship!
danny bruza

I was wondering...

Post by danny bruza »

very funny... good to see you on here
danny bruza

I was wondering...

Post by danny bruza »

holocrispo latin for whole wave