Another cool holographic thought

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I thought of this idea this morning and I am very excited to try it. Feel free to try it yourself if you want as it would be a very exciting first hologram which would be very efficient and very stable in its configuration.

First take a piece of ordinary mirror the size or large then your plate. Place it on a layer of about 10 paper towels. Put on safety glasses and gloves. Take a metal rod and push down into one place on the mirror, just off center until the mirror breaks. Do not disturb the broken pieces. Then take your holograhic plate and lay it gently on the broken mirror emulsion side up. Let this stand for at least one hour. Expose with laser coming in from one of the sides. Do not forget to mask off the leading edge of the holographic film with black tape (not shown) so as not to get internal reflections.

The effect when it is hangin on a wall will be very nice with gratings going in different direction because the paper towels held the broken mirror in a deformed state with depression at point of break. In my case, if I can get it to replay broadband it will look like a broken mirror on the wall.

I may try to "prop" up the plate so it will be a couple of inches from the broken mirror pieces.

So many ideas so little time!!!

Peace and have fun!

JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

If stablility is a problem how about make a mixure of plaster of paris, letting it set up partially, set the mirror on the mixture then break it. Let is set up and the broken mirror will be more stable.
Michael Harrison

Post by Michael Harrison »

If you use plaster or some other hard-setting material on the back, you can re-use the broken mirror as a element in any of your other scenes (such as your vodka bottle hologram).

---------------------------
If someone says it can't be done but they haven't tried it, don't believe them.
http://www.dragonseye.com/Holography

Are you going to the next PCG Gathering?
http://www.dragonseye.com/Holography/PCGGI.html
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

True, good thought.

I had a busy weekend with the family this weekend and a couple of other things on the list before I can produce some DCG holograms again. But I am aiming for another DCG session next weekend and one is going to be the broken mirror. I want to try the raw mirror and a diffuser between the mirror and plate.