Will have fun

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
DJ Mathson

Will have fun

Post by DJ Mathson »

I am happy. Today I found out that I will attend a course in color holography this summer. For a week we will learn color holography and interferometry for natural scientists. I will really enjoy this.
Dinesh

Will have fun

Post by Dinesh »

Where?
What's a "natural scientist"?
DJ Mathson

Will have fun

Post by DJ Mathson »

The course is at the University of Lund in Sweden.
Website only in swedish.
http://kurslab-atom.fysik.lth.se/holografi/

Sorry, I thought you could say natural scientist for a person studying natural science. I suppose you just say scientist.
DJ Mathson

Will have fun

Post by DJ Mathson »

Here are some images of color holograms they have made at the lab.
http://kurslab-atom.fysik.lth.se/holografi/Images.htm
Dinesh

Will have fun

Post by Dinesh »

Be-e-e-e-utiful!!
How long will it take to learn Swedish?!

As for 'natural scientist' I just wondered whether you were learning it more from a physicist's point of view, ie heavy on the mathematics and physics and light on the imagery, or the other way around or a both. I can see they make beautiful images. If you learn to make images like this, who cares what a 'natural scientist' is!
DJ Mathson

Will have fun

Post by DJ Mathson »

I am not sure how fast you are able to learn swedish, but I known people who have learned it in 2 months being here in Sweden. There are others who still have not learned it after 2 years.

The course contains 8 hours of lectures and 28 hours in the lab. There are 7 lab works: Optical effects, Basic holography, Evaluation of holograms, Interferometry, Reflection hologram and a small and a large color hologram.

I wish there also was a pseudo color labwork.

One should be fine with high school math I think. They were supposed to have a similar course for artists also, buy noone was interested. I think the courses differ in the math and that you do interferometry instead of pseudocolor. It was close not to be a scientist course also. Apart from me there was only one showing up at the registration. But the teacher managed to find two other students. Luckily for me. Either nobody is interested in holography or noone knows about it. I really can´t understand that.

Dinesh

Will have fun

Post by Dinesh »

"I am not sure how fast you are able to learn swedish"
I was joking. I didn't actually want an answer. I just thought that I wanted to join that class and if the class is held in Sweden, I need to learn Swedish. Just to be able to make holograms like that, I would try and learn Swedish. How long would that take...

"Either nobody is interested in holography or noone knows about it. I really can´t understand that."
Unfortunately it's becoming clearer and clearer to me. It seems that we holographers ourselves simply show our skulls and chess pieces to other holographers to seek their 'ooohs!' and 'aahhs' for images that simply show a single object who's only merit is that it's a DCG or it's a pseudocolor or it's on PFG-something or that we made it by taking fishbones from a rubbish bin and chemicals from a pet store and, because we're so clever and ingenious, made a beamsplitter or a shutter or a develper. So long as we present this view to the public so long will holography seem to be a a hobby with no relevance. Photography came of age when the photographers stopped being obsessed with ingenious ways to make film or developer or shutters and started pesenting it as an easy and simple way to make images. We seem to swim deep in our cleverness for its own sake. If you want to make holograms, according to the message we send out, you dig into rubbish bins, find things in pet stores discover uses for scrap metal and, at the end, you have a piece of glass with something - a skull - a chess piece - a bottle - a Buddha -and it;s wonderful because it's DCG!!! Wow! Who cares? While we love the process (much, much more than the actual image!) out there, students wanting to learn something interesting and useful and relevant simply see it as an expensive and valueless gimmick.
Sorry, but after over twenty years of "Holography never lived up to it's potential" or (once every ten years or so) "Holography is making a comeback - 5 more people are doing DCG!" or "It's a perfect mixture of Art and Science" (which it isn't) we're still talking liquid lenses, one-step rainbows, holographic table-tops, collimating HOEs for making holograms (my first ever task in 1983, incidently). Where is the great resurgence - one more conference of the same old Believers that we see in every conference? A new book here, a new web page there, a friend down at the pub who ju-u-st lu-u-uves the little <gecko/skull/bottle/etc> and simply can't wait to hear how it's done? Look, it's 3D!!! As Larry said, so is lenticular, stereo photography, autostereoscopic displays and chroma-color. And they're in color, life size and on the front cover of magazines, DVD and CD covers, in Science museums and on computer monitors.
We have to show the public that holography is not being ingenious or clever or "3D" (which in humble opinion is about the most pointless aspect of holography!) but something that public sees and doesn't really care "how they do that". So far, the only holographic applications are credit cards, driving licences, product ID and wrapping paper - no real imagery at all.
Oh well, back to the Coating Room. I must make sure the gelatin is at the proper temperature and viscosity so I can coat to a thickness of 12 microns and make more colored geckos........But it's DCG!
Don't worry, I'll be sure and post lots of pictures so you can all 'oooh!' and 'aaah'.
Martin

Will have fun

Post by Martin »

I agree with most you said. A hologram cannot be a "value" per se. I have
always had trouble grasping the sense of that not so moderate designation of
a hologram as being something that records/writes the "whole" (image).

It's been a long time I consider holography as a part of photography.
Incidentally, photography may not necessarily be limited to the notorious "Press-the-button-we-do-the-rest." It may actually involve a great many different "special" methods and techniques from lithographic methods to photograms, equidensity and X-ray images etc. etc.

Well, meanwhile you have things like electronic holography that rather seem to resemble video. Nevertheless, historically, video as well as the whole movie business and finally, holography, stem from photography.
JohnFP

Will have fun

Post by JohnFP »

Did you forget to take you pill?

Dinesh

Will have fun

Post by Dinesh »

I agree. I've always thought of holography as part of photography. I'm not very knowledgable about early photography, but it seems to me that they also went through the stages of finding materials and equipment by using and altering other existing materials. This seems to have given way very early on to concentrating more on the image than on capturing it, ca 1850's to 1870's? I saw the Fox Talbot exhibition last year and I was struck with how similar his imagery was to present day holograhy - his sister by the window, his college church steeple, a tree in his garden etc. Images just for the sake of them. This is not to diminish his work, but photography seemed to quickly grow and mature while holography does not.
It's always seemed to me that holographer use the phrase "Equal parts Science and Art" as a mantra. Yet the branches of photography you mention seem to be much more a mixture of art and science than anything holographers do. There's a competition of photographs from various categories every summer here in San Diego and all the entries along with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are demonstrated. Along with the photos are the technical details (f-stop, film ASA etc) and it seems these amateur photogrpahers carefully choose these parameters to get their effect. These parameters are more tuned toward the effect they want in their pictures rather than the process of actually taking them.