what will you do with holography...(is it just a ego thing)

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

i think its up to us! dinesh had a great statment that we all need to listen to and realy think about

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 1085704334

im not trying to start a fire here but wanting us to stear away from the stigma that slowed down holography for such a long time.

we have a chance here to make a diffrence, it is this forum that is at the top when new seekers come looking on the web looking for holography

i think we could be the cutting edge, the tide the changes what people think about holography....I belive in the dream... do you?
danny bruza

Post by danny bruza »

i was from a father that was very narsissic..and it took me many years to change my narsissim .... so this post is for myself as well as you....i want to make a diffrence.. to be apart of something bigger than iam, one peace in the big-Picture
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Stigma? I revel in the stigma! And those bad carnival commercial holograms were inspirational to me! A large part of my motivation for entering the field was my punky, do-it-yourself conviction that even I could do better than that. The limitations of the medium I find liberating - fewer choices, sometime only one pose that works at all - it reduces decision overload, and the lack of serious artistic competition in this medium is also good for the ego.

Dinesh has inspired me to seek out a chess set (I already have a decent skull) to compose the perfect parodic homage to those despised traditions of our craft. I have a very cool scene in mind ...

As to what the public thinks, the public is like the ocean - mostly very deep and slow, but shallow and frenetic at the edges.
So you can fish or cut bait ... ):

Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Funny you should say that. I was thinking along the same lines myself. What d'you say we swop parodies?
martymouse

Post by martymouse »

hey dinesh you just got a comment on one of your holograms
http://4c-s.org/v-web/gallery/album02/opal_gecko

mabe we need to make a 'oooh!' and 'aaah' folder in the main gallery

take a bow
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Thangyou-thangyouverymuch-thangyou.
But......
You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Sure, sounds like fun - you mean swap the resulting holograms, I take it. It might take me a while, though - I'm not really happy with any of the chess sets I've found so far but I might yet see a way to make them work...

Re the rationale behind this endeavor - I think the best exorcism is by means of ridicule,
whether vicious or affectionate, and taking holo-kitsch to the extreme is likely to result in entertaining images. One must not forget that those skull and chess piece holograms were widely seen and so have acquired a historic resonance. Perhaps an ironic return to these roots might provide a foundation for a newer, better form of popular art holography...

Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

"I think the best exorcism is by means of ridicule,..."
I also think in very similar ways. I must say, though, the irony of using holo-kitsch to make an "meaningful" image (whatever that is!) is also pretty appealing.
twilight window

Post by twilight window »

The original parody images in holography - or perhaps tributes? - were model trains. Seems apt.