glass coating

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
danny bruza

glass coating

Post by danny bruza »

holograper's hours..up late again

my coating is getting much better

1. first i clean glass in bleach a(10 at a time)
2. rinse in hot running water
3. air dry
4. warm gel mix
5. tape glass to plastic
6. pour puddle in middle of 4x5 plate
7. slowly put on 5x7 cover plate
8. clap
9. put in ice box
10. (play on computer for 15 mins)
11. pull out of ice box
12. lift cover plate very slowly
13. let air dry

Tom B.

glass coating

Post by Tom B. »

Are you using anything like Rain-X on the cover plate to keep it from sticking?
danny bruza

glass coating

Post by danny bruza »

it works very well...you just have to take your time lifting off the cover plate.. start at on of the 4 corner and lift realy slowly.. you do not want to rush
dave battin

glass coating

Post by dave battin »

DANNY how do you regulate the thickness of the coating?
When we were making a production of DCG, to clean the glass i would run the plates in the dishwasher with great results!
Dinesh

glass coating

Post by Dinesh »

Did you put any detergent in the dishwasher? I've found that specks of detergent tends to stick to the glass and carry through the coating process. I then put the glass through the dishwasher with just water, but this didn't work either for the same reason. Maybe leftover detergent from the previous washes or maybe just city water. Now I first rinse in running water for a few minutes, spray the still-wet glass with standard off-the-shelf glass cleaner ("Windex"), rub the surfaces with my fingers, wipe dry with a coarse paper towel, breathe on it and gently wipe dry with fine, non-shredding paper ("Kim Wipes")
Greg G

glass coating

Post by Greg G »

Back in the days of spin coating DCG, we used to add a surfactant to break down surface tension to get a more uniform coating. Just an ordinary liquid soap.
D A Battin

glass coating

Post by D A Battin »

first we would swab the glass w/detergent and water ,then place in
dishwasher without any additonal dishwasher(a water conditioner might help with your spotting) and an in line water filter is probably necessary.
Colin Kaminski

glass coating

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Dinesh, I would use a new dishwasher so you have no traces of soap, a water softener so you have removed the minerals (except sodium chloride) and then use Calgon. This should leave you a very clean glass. (Not quite clean enough to taste beer however! For beer you need to add a 30 second warm water rinse with DI or RO water.)
danny bruza

glass coating

Post by danny bruza »

i use Scotch tape. i tape all the edges down to a transparency film, thats so
1 i have a spacer
2 i have clean edges
3 1 have a clean back side

i put this in a old photograpers negitive contactor, it a bit larger than a 8x10

then put down cover glass

then close lid to contactor and clip it with clip