Problems with English Terms

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello,
I'm pretty much a newbie to holography and from Germany and I recently came across some english terms which I couldn't distinguish from each other very well. These are not technically related terms but I hope you can tell me what is meant by them and what the difference is between them? Ok, well...what are...

...Hologram Originators
...Hologram Manufacturers
...Hologram Converters

thanks very much and sorry for that dumb question...

Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

In the mass production Security and Product ID side, there are many stages from idea to finish. The customer, called, let's say Wannahol Ltd approaches the hologram manufacturers, such as American Banknote, Crown, Applied Holograpghics, CFC, etc. I can only describe ABNH from personal experience, but I'm pretty sure the rest of them work in similar ways. The Sales Dept. first get the parameters. How big? Where (magazine cover, on a chip, as a tag etc), what quantities over what period, what kind? (Dot Matrix, lenticular, 3 color seperation etc). 'Sales' then get together with the Art Dept and create the artistic layout. These are the transparencies, the 3 color seperations, the video sequence if it's to be a lenticular/multiplex, the models, the photoshop if it's to be a Dot matrix etc. This is passed to the Origination Deptartment ( The hologram originators) who actually shoot the hologram on a photoresist plate. The plate is then sent to the Production Department (The Hologram Converters) where it's sprayed with a substance to make the photoresist plate electrically conductive and dipped into a large tank with a god-awful looking green slime. Here it electroformed (not plated, strictly speaking) and the very thin layer of Nickel is peeled off the photoresist plate. This is the Silver Mother. It's dipped back in the tank and another electroforming takes place. Here I'm a little uncertain because I rarely went back into the Convertion Dept at ABNH, but basically, this second electroformed plate is now used to create a 'shim', which is a small piece of Ni with the image on it. This is sent to the Printers, who mass produce it, or it gets sent back to Wannhol who then incorporate it into their product.
The word 'converter' may not be accurate as different people use it in different ways. This is how we used it at ABNH.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

There are NO dumb questions! There are No dumb holographers (probably)! NOT asking questions is dumb!Always feel free to ask any and all questions and welcome to the forum.

Bruce