Presentation of the possibilities of Lippmann photographs

This is a forum exploring Lippmann photography.
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

It happened so that I managed to make the first Lippman’s photo of sun disk on June 21 of 1986. Objective with celostat of heliograph from Kharkov astronomic observatory was used for this experiment. Its focal distance is about 2 meters, relative aperture – 1/40. Dichromated gelatin plate was placed in the focal plane of the objective. Monochromatization of radiation was realized using interference filter settled to wave length 426 nm and gate line about 9 nm. The filter was fixed at 60 mm distance from the plate. There were four photos on the plate with exposure 30, 60, 90 and 120 seconds. Optimal exposure time turned to be 90 seconds. Properties of Lippman’s images are much different from those available to us in every day life. So information should be obtained from them in a special way. To get equidensites (in this case it’s better to use term «isophots» - lines of equal brightness on the sun disk. There was no intermediate image in the form of optical density modulation) the photo was exposed to monochromatic radiation influence. Mercury lamps ДРК-125 – 578 nm и 546 nm were used for this. Below are the results of processing the only good photo for this. It is difficult to explain the reason of isophots parallax from the disk center. Moreover, there were no active formations on the sun at that time. As nobody expected to get good results of the experiment there was no snap to sun equator.

Here is that only plate with Lippman’s sun images. Image 1 and 2 are overexposed and spoiled at development. Image 4 is underexposed. As to image 3 its exposure is almost optimal (exposure time could be increased by 30%). Greek-Egyptian pattern seen on images 3 and 4 is the result of wallpaper reflection on the wall. The photo is made at incandescent lamp light.

Here is how looks image 3 at sodium(-vapor) lamp light.

Who can say the sun is not a sphere?

Monochromatization of radiation being necessary for obtaining Lippman’s image it makes sense to make it effective. It means marking an interesting region of sun light spectrum, for example hydrogen line H-gamma (434 nm), H-delta (410 nm) or calcium duplicate (393,4 nm and 396,8 nm). I like the last variant very much as the lines are very intensive and are located near the maximum of DCG absorption. Interference filter (395 nm) with gate line (4-5 nm) would be great for that task. I didn’t publish these results hoping to have better opportunities to hold a series of correct experiments. 20 years have passed and there hasn’t been such an opportunity. So I propose to those active members who are not afraid to try new methods and approaches to hold my experiment again and move on. I’m ready to suggest, consult and take part in the experiments.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Sogokon'A wrote:Monochromatization of radiation being necessary for obtaining Lippman’s image it makes sense to make it effective. It means marking an interesting region of sun light spectrum, for example hydrogen line H-gamma (434 nm), H-delta (410 nm) or calcium duplicate (393,4 nm and 396,8 nm). I like the last variant very much as the lines are very intensive and are located near the maximum of DCG absorption. Interference filter (395 nm) with gate line (4-5 nm) would be great for that task. I didn’t publish these results hoping to have better opportunities to hold a series of correct experiments. 20 years have passed and there hasn’t been such an opportunity. So I propose to those active members who are not afraid to try new methods and approaches to hold my experiment again and move on. I’m ready to suggest, consult and take part in the experiments.

I'd consider this a very exciting project for people involved with DCG!

I am still unable to open your image files...
Sogokon'A

Post by Sogokon'A »

To open images, it is necessary:

1. To click the right button of the mouse on the index of the image

2. To choose "properties"

3. To copy the address

4. To insert it into a window of an observer

5. To press “enter”

If not clear window attentively look narrowly has opened – on a yellow background large black letters will be a name of a file. Click it.

Such features of the Russian Internet