wanted a Lippmann image

This is a forum exploring Lippmann photography.
Danny Bee

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by Danny Bee »

does anyone have a Lippmann image that i can buy for use in a class on photography/Holography?
please pm me
walschuler

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by walschuler »

Dear Danny,

I have some pure color Lippmanns, no focused image, on film. They might be useful to you. They can be used to show:
1) color dependence on angle of illumination and view
2) color dependence on interference layer thickness (breathe on the emulsion side, it swells, color shifts towards the red, then it dries out and the color shifts back to its original)
3) color intensity and wavelength affected by bleaching (part is developed and unbleached, part is bleached using ferric EDTA bleach)
4) That the color is stored as a black-transparent interference pattern image, no dyes or colorants, and if you want to get into it, the bleached part is a purely phase image, while the unbleached part is an amplitude image

These film strips (about 1/2x4 inches) are surplus from an article I published from a talk I gave some years back, and the ones I used were tipped in to the article when published by the SPIE. They were made on Agfa 8E-75, using a yellow sodium safelight, which has a line spectrum, the brightest lines of which are the D-lines, at about 590 nm, in the yellow. That notwithstanding, the photo processing (I think D-19, bleach, no fix) shifted the "rest" color to the green.

I could send you say 2-4 pieces of the film, at no charge. Are these of interest? I could also loan you a spectrum on a glass plate, 4x5 Agfa 8E-75, with a front-surface-reflection-rejecting wedge prism, glued to the emulsion with Canadian Balsam, if that is of interest. The spectrum is the easiest subject to make into a Lippmann, though a narrow line source like the sodium lamp is also relatively easy.

I have the film at home, I think. The plate is down at school near LA and I won't be able to send it before next wednesday. What is your schedule?

If you want any of these send me your snail mail address.

Also feel free to call with any questions. I would be happy to talk to you.

Yours,

Bill Alschuler
Science Faculty
School of Critical Studies
CalArts
and
cell 415-725-3800
walschuler

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by walschuler »

Hi Danny,

I should get a box of goodies off to you via Fedex, within the hour, and it should arrive tomorrow.

I suggested one photohistory website in my letter there, and here is another:
http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/news/LL/BL/2/492/

Yours,

Bill
Colin Kaminski

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Bill,

I have two Darren Green Lippmanns that I should show you one day. Remind me if we meet up again. They are very nice.
walschuler

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by walschuler »

Hi Colin,

I would like to see them. I have both a portrait of me he took and a very nice one of a plate of fruit done more recently.

Let's arrange a visit, at either my place or yours.

Bill
Colin Kaminski

wanted a Lippmann image

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I don't have much time right now but perhaps I can visit your class this spring?