2006 Holography contest Q&A/discussion thread

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

check your math ,as it looks now, three are tied for first ........
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

dave battin wrote:check your math ,as it looks now, three are tied for first ........
My math is fine. As I said
...the last time I did a tally...

It's a fluid situation.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

dave battin wrote:check your math ,as it looks now, three are tied for first ........

i wasnt questioning your math ,it was more to say " look at the latest data" ,(to see if im thinking correctly). sorry for the misunderstandig :oops:
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

There is another way to tally the votes...

Sum the score for a particular entry and divide by the maximum number of votes overall

So if entry A got 8 votes and entry B got 10 votes, each entry would be divided by 10. Basically turns any non-vote into a zero vote.

Not sure if this is better but it's another method.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

MichaelH wrote:There is another way to tally the votes...

Sum the score for a particular entry and divide by the maximum number of votes overall

So if entry A got 8 votes and entry B got 10 votes, each entry would be divided by 10. Basically turns any non-vote into a zero vote.

Not sure if this is better but it's another method.

I fear I was not sufficiently clear in my previous response. What I was saying was that only dividing by the total number of DIFFERENT voters (voters who assigned a score to one or more entries) would normalize things properly if voters choosing not to score an entry are implicitly assigning a score of zero to it.

I thought at first your proposal might achieve the same result, but it's slightly different - if all scores were 5, say the total for A would be 8*5 = 40 and B would be 10*5 = 50. Dividing by 10 would give 4 and 5 respectively, which looks reasonable at first, but there could have been 18 voters, 8 choosing to score only A and 10 scoring only B. Dividing by the actual number of voters, 18, would result in scores of 2.22 and 2.77 which would properly account for the non-votes.

For the purposes of ranking though, it doesn't matter what you divide by, as long as it's the SAME number for all entries. It would be simplest to choose 1 as the divisor - just compare the sum of products of the score and vote counts for each entry.

So entry A gets a total score of 40 and B gets 50, therefore B wins. I think this is simplest and will work fairly. Normalizing would only matter if you wanted to compare results between different contests.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Can anything be done to persuade more members to vote? The turnout so far is pretty pathetic (only marginally more than the number of entries). I think a bulk email spam to the current membership (many of whom are probably inactive) alerting them to the contest would be justifiable. Maybe also a temporary pop-up associated with the main page - it took me a while to notice that a new contest category had been added. Given the amount of time and energy that's gone into this it would be a shame to not carry it through properly.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Yes I agree, it is a shame so little voting turnout. Probably doesn’t make a difference the "professional holographer" will win

any way..........

heres his bio;

http://www.ihma.org/files/uploadedfiles ... r%2006.doc
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

I've asked colin if he can send a note to all the members. Hopefully that will help.
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

MichaelH wrote:I've asked colin if he can send a note to all the members. Hopefully that will help.

Well, the email got my attention. I passed around the URL to some friends. Nice work guys!

Now, excuse me as I enter the voting booth...

----edit

Humm, actually, before I vote can someone explain the voting criteria? That should be a huge sticky for voters, I would think so things are fair. ;')

(E.g. It might be unfair to vote for a hologram that wasn't made for the contest, or something. Any guidelines?)

Phil
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

edelbrp wrote:
MichaelH wrote:I've asked colin if he can send a note to all the members. Hopefully that will help.
Well, the email got my attention. I passed around the URL to some friends. Nice work guys!

Now, excuse me as I enter the voting booth...

----edit

Humm, actually, before I vote can someone explain the voting criteria? That should be a huge sticky for voters, I would think so things are fair. ;')

(E.g. It might be unfair to vote for a hologram that wasn't made for the contest, or something. Any guidelines?)

Phil

The basic rules are here: http://www.holographyforum.org/phpBB2/v ... 8004#38004

It's fair to vote for any of the holograms as all meet the criteria for being allowed in the contest. It's up to you to judge based on whatever criteria you desire. One of the guys proposed a ranking system and you're free to use it or not as you choose. Just remember that a higher number means you liked it more than if you choose a lower number.