2006 Holography contest Q&A/discussion thread

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

I noted Colin's gentle hint that discussion of next year's contest might be better postponed until we're done with this one, but couldn't resist this suggestion:

What if, upon showing interest and some evidence of even minimal holographic competence, a limited number of participants received a free pack of good film (10-20 4x5 sheets, all from the same batch), and an international reply envelope to be used for their contest entry. A sponsor would be very helpful here, and donations could be solicited to cover some costs (I might be willing to contribute). To save money, entries would NOT be returned, though all rights would remain with the creator. The use of a common film medium would help to equalize the competition and would greatly reduce shipping costs for everyone.

There is still the difficulty of selecting a good film, fairly lighting and judging the results, and all the impediments of international mail (including intense X-Ray inspection that might fog film), but still, it's a start.
ron olson

Post by ron olson »

Instead of a contest for next year how about having Forum members contribute questions/solutions; conceptualize images/display techniques that we can collectively look to investigate during a 2 day workshop here in Las Vegas? I'll supply the light and the film for as many of the best projects (voted on by members) as time and hardware allows. If we can get firm committments from 6-8 studio participants we could assign teams to tackle issues which could be of a technical, compositional or display nature. My studio/darkroom can accomodate a fair number of participants (working in shifts) and we would of course make the results available to all forum members so that non-attendees could benefit as well. I would propose as a time frame, early 2007 with February - March being ideal. The studio is within a ten minute walk from the Rio and Gold Coast Hotels.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

ron olson wrote:Instead of a contest for next year how about having Forum members contribute questions/solutions; conceptualize images/display techniques that we can collectively look to investigate during a 2 day workshop here in Las Vegas? I'll supply the light and the film for as many of the best projects (voted on by members) as time and hardware allows. If we can get firm committments from 6-8 studio participants we could assign teams to tackle issues which could be of a technical, compositional or display nature. My studio/darkroom can accomodate a fair number of participants (working in shifts) and we would of course make the results available to all forum members so that non-attendees could benefit as well. I would propose as a time frame, early 2007 with February - March being ideal. The studio is within a ten minute walk from the Rio and Gold Coast Hotels.

Wow, what a generous offer! A project like this does not need to replace the contest but would be a great addition the the forum as well! Ron you have my full support for something like this. Any ideas as for a name?
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Wow!!! I had to open two windows for this one, one to read and one to write. As you all know I always express my opinion whether right or wrong, with the crowd or against the grain.

Ron Olson wrote:Look, I'm not trying to be cute about this - why not submit holograms for evaluation rather than photographs?
I agree that this would be the best case scenerio. But this year, it is too late and I would rather see the contest continue then wait another year. On this note, I was going to suggest we have the contest in conjunction with the next group meeting in which Kaveh was will to help with. I think this would be the best for not only the contest but entising more to want to attend. The issue I see, is the purse it rather large this year.
MichaelH wrote:I'm also not too keen on personally taking on the liability associated with the storing, packing and return shipping of a dozen or more holograms. Doesn't mean I would never be willing to handle, just not this time.
For *this* contest my main goal was to get people off their duffs and making holograms, get some cool prizes for the winners and get some wider exposure for the forum and wiki.
I see this as not only too much to ask of someone, but if the judges cannot compete it cuts down on the entrants. I also agree that what you have done Michael is make this contest so real this year, it has gained not only the attention of sponsorers but a rather lengthy discussion on the forum. THIS IS WONDERFUL!
Tom B wrote:It was recognized from the start that the idea of judging holograms from photographs is inherently absurd, but as mentioned the logistics of organizing a real holographic contest are a problem. It was intended to be easy to enter and was just for fun.

What ends up getting emphasized are the artistic, compositional and photographic skills of the participants, rather than the pure holographic quality of the images. To me this is not all bad - it might help to equalize things between beginners and experienced holographers with fancy equipment. I sort of hope too that it makes people think more about the content of their holograms.

I wonder if raising the ante by offering prizes of non-trivial value was a mistake. It might motivate some people to make holograms that otherwise wouldn't, but with real money at stake some people could lose sight of the fun factor...
Tom, the fun might be lost if the ante gets too high and it may even take the simple little guy out. The one who thinks his/her holograms do not stand up to what their expectations are.
Bob H wrote:I'd think a contest sponsored by a holography forum would be judged according to the holographic skills of the participants. Technical things like lighting, photographic handling of the material, control of color and its uniformity, etc. (I'll think of more later).

Is it always necessary for holographers to aspire to be good artists, according to the rules handed down for sculptors, painters and photographers? Why not develop our own unique aesthetic? Why not encourage mastery of holographic technique? Isn't that what we all work to improve?
Bob, I have to agree with you. The basement holographer that makes a stereogram has to be compensated in the judgement to the holographer that has an ability to scupt out their own artwork and make a Denisyuk of it. The "HOLOGRAPHIC SKILLS" must be considered in my opinion. Now on this note, one judge would not work and I believe what we have done in the past is the best, all participants or even anyone on the forum can judge. The more judges the fairer I believe.

To sum up my opinion, and this was my exact argument on the thread about the touched up photos, although I am in no way saying entrants should touch up photos in any way. I believe the best way to portray a hologram on the computer is a video, a cross eyed dual photo or the red and blue dual photos. I don't think most all of these are past the capacity of a Holographer. In fact I think we as holographers should start to set the norm for representing our hologram this way on the computer. At the least, set up your camera on a table and take a photo of the hologram, move the camera an inch to the right (depending on distance) and take another photo. Then post both side by side. In fact a couple of forum members have shown this technique very well and maybe they would not be opposed to writing something on the Wiki to explain how to do this with distances (from camera to hologram and from one shot to the next).

We discussed the growing pains if our joint efforts caused the Holography interest to grow at the first meeting and this is just one of them. I personally think this is a good thing.

ALL opinions make this thing work. ALL opinions will rekindle the interest in holography. ALL opinions will get more interested in making and wanting to own holograms. ALL opinions will get holography out of the closet. ALL opinions are right.

Sincerely and with respect to all,

John
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Get dog figurine, paint it gold, put a piece of glass in front of it, photograph it, enter it in the contest.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Get dog figurine, paint it gold, put a piece of glass in front of it, photograph it, enter it in the contest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :o :shock: :lol:

My point exactly!
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

You glass half-empty people should have the remaining liquid poured on your heads. :wink:
BobH

Post by BobH »

I don't see this glass as half empty. I see that the volume of the glass is inappropriate for the amount of liquid. :wink:
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Will the remaining liquid poured on our heads make hair grow?
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

John Klayer wrote:Will the remaining liquid poured on our heads make hair grow?

I'll mix some Rogaine in it first. Rub vigorously.