2006 Holography contest Q&A/discussion thread

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

inaki wrote:I am certainly interested in taking part but just wanted to check something. Can it be a hologram we have shot in the past (a few years back) or does it have to be made since the start of the competition?
:?:

New holograms are preferred (the contest was initiated in part to get people off their duffs and making holograms) but old work can be entered as well.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

5 days and counting...
Tony

Post by Tony »

OK, the contest entry is 'in the can', and I'm working on the final photo(s). That's my question - the original rules seem to imply a single photo, although that's not exactly on a par with a video entry, which can give views with different perspectives.

Can I submit more than 1 photo of the same hologram?
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I vote absolutely. We have been discussing the problem of correct representation of a hologram with a photo. So in my not so humble opinion, multiple photos as a least should be allowed.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

i agree also , as many pictures as needed, hense, motion pictures! do all the files need to be loaded by midnight of the 30th michael? or just the entry photo ? i will want to add an avi file as well. i think little or no photoshop as possible, or if its used ,be sure to state it?what do you guys think??
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Tony wrote:OK, the contest entry is 'in the can', and I'm working on the final photo(s). That's my question - the original rules seem to imply a single photo, although that's not exactly on a par with a video entry, which can give views with different perspectives.
Can I submit more than 1 photo of the same hologram?

Yes, but limit it to the minimum necessary to get the idea across and try to keep the file size as small as you can without affecting image quality. We don't want to choke Colin's mail server.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

MichaelH wrote:Yes, but limit it to the minimum necessary to get the idea across and try to keep the file size as small as you can without affecting image quality. We don't want to choke Colin's mail server.

can i carry the file thru my server???
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

dave battin wrote:
MichaelH wrote:Yes, but limit it to the minimum necessary to get the idea across and try to keep the file size as small as you can without affecting image quality. We don't want to choke Colin's mail server.
can i carry the file thru my server???

I would rather they all be stored in the same place so that there's no risk of after-entry editing or disappearing entries if someone's server dies. This way if one goes, they all go.

All files should be submitted by midnight (CST, GMT-6) on the 30th. If you've got a particularly large file or don't have server storage where I or Colin can get it from, let me know and we'll work things out. As long as there's a good-faith effort to get your submission in by the deadline, it'll be counted even if it takes a bit longer.

Getting it submitted before the deadline is ok too.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Please excuse my ignorance here, does the contest end tonight or tomorrow night?

"The contest officially begins on August 1st and ends at midnight (CST) on September 30th and the prize winners will be announced on Monday, October 16th"
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Tomorrow (Sat) at 23:59:59.