2006 Entry - Inaki Beguiristain

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Inaki Beguiristain

Title: "Gromit"

Size: 4? x 5? Portrait

Type: Multicolour Reflection Transfer Hologram (Pseudocolour method)

Number of colours mixed: 3 (Red, Yellow and Blue)

This one called "Gromit" I shot in 1997, it was one of the first pseudocolour reflection holograms I made, and I?ve never looked back since! Getting the brown ears and nose was the biggest achievement. Still one of my favourites.

If you want to compare it with all the submissions, click this link.
jcfolke

Post by jcfolke »

I would love to se a movie of this hologram. I have some problems understanding what the hologram looks like if you tilt it. As i have never seen a pseudo-color hologram before, to me this looks more like a drawn picture than a hologram.

By saying this i don't mean that i don't think that this is not a hologram. I just dont understand it.

regards
inaki

Post by inaki »

Unfortunately I won’t be able to shoot a little video sequence of Gromit for a week or so as I’m away at the moment. I will post one on the forum when I’ve done it. Colin or Michael, where is the best place to put this??

With any reflection hologram (and this is no different really, it’s three reflection holograms recorded on the same plate) the colours are more or less preserved as you tilt the hologram. You also have both vertical and horizontal parallax.

The plate used here was made by Holographic Recording Technologies (Richard Birenheide), now Colour Holographic Ltd (UK). Fabulous Emulsion.

Dave Battin's comments: Probably doesn’t make a difference the "professional holographer" will win
any way..........

heres his bio;
http://www.ihma.org/files/uploadedfiles ... r%2006.doc

I appreciate Dave’s comments, but I should just mention a few other points about the history of this hologram and myself. I made it back in 1997 in my bedroom in a first floor flat, South London, just off a main road! The laser was a 7mw HeNe and the table was 5 x 3 feet. I have been interested in holography since I was about 13, and I set up my first ‘lab’ in a shed at the bottom of my parents garden a couple of years later. Today, I still have my art studio in a ‘shed’ at the bottom of my garden (albeit a different garden and a little more high tec studio), and my passion is still display/ art silver halide holography. I have also subsequently become involved in embossed holography, from which I can fortunately make a living. I see myself as a professional holographer only in so much that I make a living from my hobby!

By the way Dave, very impressed with your emulsion, especially as you made it yourself.

Cheers.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

thanks inaki , its nice to hear about the backround on this beautiful hologram . i look forward to reading/seeing your input on future projects here at the forum........

by the way was that a 4x5 hologram? even more fantastic than i thought(using only 7mw)!
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

How did you shoot all colors with a single HeNe laser?
inaki

Post by inaki »

Thanks. Hologram is 4x5 and colours were achieved using trieth to preswell the emulsion for each desired colour. There are three masters, one for red, one for yellow and the third for blue. The model was painted in between each master.

Cheers,
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

So you placed tranmisison film in the holder with the red area on the object painted white and the rest black and then did an exposure. Then you placed another plate in the holder and painted the yellow parts of the object yellow and the rest black and then did the same for red.

Then the first master (for red) was placed in the H1 plateholder and the H2 copy plate exposed. Then you took out the first master and replaced it with the yellow master and took out the H2 copy plate and preswelled it for yellow. Then put it back into the H2 plateholder. Then exposed. Then replaced the master with the blue master, took out the copy plate swelled it with a higher concentration and replaced it back in the H2 holder. Then exposed. Then processed.

WOW! That's quite a bit of work.
inaki

Post by inaki »

That's exactly it! ~I also have to preswell for the red (around 2% conc.) at the H2 stage, otherwise the red is a little too deep, also has the advantage of increasing sensitivity. The last of the H1's shot is of course the blue.