The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
MichaelH

2006 Entry - DJ Mathson

Post by MichaelH »

DJ Mathson

Title: "TRANSVERSE CUT"

BB-640 plates 10x12,7 cm (4x5 ")

6% TEA pretreatment

Single beam exposure 30 sek from 50 cm with 4 mW Integraf diode laser.

Developer - Sodium Carbonate + Ascorbic acid (the one you use to drink, therefore a lot of other stuff too..), Copper bleach (JD-4)

Transverse cut dog model sculpted by me.

If you want to compare this entry with all the submissions, click this link.
DJ Mathson

2006 Entry - DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

Some more info.

Since I wasn´t able to participate in the 2005 contest I hoped to be able to participate this year instead. Though for long it looked like I would not be able to join this year´s contest, so I had given up on that thought. Still during September 28 things looked uncertain. For one thing I had no plates, but thanks to Uli at Colourholographic I got some plates the 29:th. So, I thought, why not try to make some holograms. On the 30:th when I was going to set things up I discovered I was out of chemistry. Managed to acquire some during the evening. Made some test exposures with my home made chemistry and my porcelain cat and the holograms turned out quite good.

Four hours before deadline I started sculpting my model. When I was going to prepare my plates with TEA I could not find my squeegee, so the plates got splotchy. Two hours before deadline I took out my model from the oven. Very hot. So the dark stripes in the hologram are probably from thermal movement, though the model is not the most rigid thing on earth so it could possibly have moved anyway. Seven minutes to deadline, late in the morning, I emailed the photograph. Well, technically this is not a great hologram. But I think the model is funny, and the main thing is that I managed to make a hologram and a contribution to the Holography Contest 2006. And that is all that matters. :-)

Side note. The organs you see in the cross section of the dog are actually a transverse section computer tomography image of a real dog.

Here is a cross eyed stereo photograph of the hologram:

http://eyedream.se/bilder/holografi/dog ... _cross.jpg

And here is a Quicktime VR Object movie:

http://eyedream.se/bilder/holografi/dog ... /dog01.mov