2006 contest voting is now Closed. Please read

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Oct 16, 2006:

Voting is now closed but the original voting post was:
The voting threads are now open. Please take some time to look over the entries and rank each hologram according to whatever criteria you deem appropriate. You have until October 16th at 04:00 GMT-6 to place your vote and you may discuss and critique the holograms in their threads, as you desire.

The entrants will note that only two stills have been included in the polling threads. That was done to keep loading times down.

Before you choose your favorite, make sure you look at all the submissions in the gallery. Some entrants included a number of shots and alternative views to make your job harder. :-)
Last edited by MichaelH on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Excellent job! Michael and Colin !!!!Thank you!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The big effort was on Michael's part. He did a great job at taking the initive. Thank you Michael!

And a really big thank you goes to the sponsers! What a great response we had.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

You're all welcome. I hope everyone enjoyed making their entries and that fame and fortune follow them wherever they go. :-)
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

btw, if you've voted for only one or two entries, please take a moment to vote for the rest.

If an entry allows you to vote, it means you haven't voted for that entry.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Current standing (based on the simple score for each entrant) is:

Inaki - 17 votes - score 75

Tom B - 16 votes - score 65

Dave B - 13 votes - score 52

Michael H - 13 votes - score 52

The rankings could easily change if Colin finds that we can get specific voter data from the forum that would allow us to figure out how many total voters there were. That would tend to knock those with a lower number of votes down more though since those missing votes would = 0
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

MichaelH wrote:if Colin finds that we can get specific voter data from the forum that would allow us to figure out how many total voters there were.

i thought the total votes were figured from each entry?

how do you figure someone voted "0"?
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

dave battin wrote:
MichaelH wrote:if Colin finds that we can get specific voter data from the forum that would allow us to figure out how many total voters there were.
i thought the total votes were figured from each entry?
Total "votes" can easily be computed from each entry or all entries. If we want normalized votes we'll need to know how many voters participated. The scores shown above were computed by summing up the votes for each specific entry.
dave battin wrote:how do you figure someone voted "0"?

This would only apply if we wanted to make the scoring more "fair" by normalizing the individual scores with the total number of people who participated in the judging. Example: There are 17 votes for Inaki, 16 for Tom. *if* there were only 17 people participating in the voting, that means that one of the people basically gave Tom 0 on the same ballot that he used to score Inaki.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

MichaelH wrote:This would only apply if we wanted to make the scoring more "fair" by normalizing the individual scores with the total number of people who participated in the judging. Example: There are 17 votes for Inaki, 16 for Tom. *if* there were only 17 people participating in the voting, that means that one of the people basically gave Tom 0 on the same ballot that he used to score Inaki.

I’m no expert here, but doesn’t that give the guy with the most votes an unfair advantage?

i also think some voters (early on) only voted once ,not quite understandig the rules. is that what you are looking into?
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

dave battin wrote:I’m no expert here, but doesn’t that give the guy with the most votes an unfair advantage?
I think that's normally called "winning".

No, it's wouldn't weight the results in anyone's favor, it would tend to even things out. Probably we should just go with the final score rather than any fancy averaging.
dave battin wrote:i also think some voters (early on) only voted once ,not quite understandig the rules. is that what you are looking into?

There's not much we can do about people not understanding the rules. We've tried to make them clear.

I now wish we'd gone with an open non-anonymous method and simple "vote for your favorite three" ballot.