The Judging has Finished!

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Because of the logistics of shipping holograms to England and the time zone difference making arrangements difficult, I decided to have Bob Hess be the co-Judge on this years contest. We have finished the judging and I am tallying the results and will have them posted later this week.
Expect your holograms to be in the mail shortly.

I was very impressed with the work and I think Bob and I have some great tips to improve everyone's holograms, entrant or not. I have decided to only give the detailed notes to individual entrants but I will put together a list of tips for next years entrants based on the results.

Without question the ranking of the holograms would have been much different if we were judging simply photos and not the actual holograms. Also, the input we can offer is much better with the hologram in hand. (Bob's technical prowess was very evident in the way he viewed the holograms.)

I am very excited about next years competition and will be posting some information next week including deadlines for next summer.

This years prizes are:

$100 for First Place.
$50 for Second Place.
$25 for Third Place.

Thank you to all of the entrants! And thank you to Bob for the help.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Colin Kaminski wrote: We have finished the judging and I am tallying the results and will have them posted later this week.

hey colin any updates?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Sorry, I've been lagging. Bob got me interested in a side project and we had to re-review one of the entries. Not long now.
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

we are all excited for the results of the contest.... :D
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

It’s too bad that the momentum of the competition has fallen victim to the delay in final judging. Can you give us a specific date when the announcement will be made?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Under 4x5:

1st Dave Battin $100
2nd TomB $50
3rd TEM00 $25

Over 4x5

3rd (tie) Dave Battin $25
3rd (tie) mikef $25

The Judges were BobH and me.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

Congratulations to all of you, and especially to Dave! When do we get to see pictures of the contest holograms?
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Congratulations Dave! your have put alot of work into your craft and taken was was discover by Dinesh and made it into a art form. Im so happy you won :lol: go dave go :wink:
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I would also like to award notes of merit to:

Dave and Danny for making a beautiful presentation for entry.
TEM00 has to get the award for utilizing their resources the best.
Tom certainly gets an award for the best shipping package.
mikef gets an award for being thought provoking.
And lastly Dr. Outlier gets a note of merit for getting out there and entering. He will be repaid for his efforts by some good notes.

Mostly, BobH absolutely gets and award for taking 4 hours out of his day to judge on a moments notice. His asistance lent a great deal of technical expertise to the notes.

I would like to thank everyone for entering. It was a good practice run for what needs to happen next year. I learned a lot about how the timing of everything needs to work and also how some of the rules can be improved.

Photos of the entries to follow. All judges notes are reserved for each entrant. I will summarize some of the notes in another post without attributing them to any specific entrant. I will box each hologram as it is being photoed. mikef, your box was destroyed even though the hologram was fine. I will repack it.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Wow! I am very surprised to have won first place. I want to thank Colin and Bob for taking time to review these contest holograms and to the prize donators (whomever you are), and all the other entrants, as without their effort, there would be no contest. This yearly contest is a really great thing and I’m anxious to hear how it will evolve next year. I am presently making up a "how I made it" video for this hologram, and I look forward to sharing it with you all. Thanks again, all!