2008 Holography Contest?

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
dave battin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by dave battin »

Yes Ron you have hit the nail on the head. the contest needs to broaden the insight into holography and world issues as well(as a bonus).we need these(future contest) holograms to be viewed by as many eyes as possible. We already have a few possible public places to display them......

This contest thing needs to continue it just needs to be nurtured a little. i like your idea to do a collaboration. Maybe that’s a thing we could do as an addition to the contest.........
Danny Bee

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Danny Bee »

ron olson wrote:I’m having difficulty in understanding the driving motivation for having this yearly contest. It appears to me (granted I’m something of an outsider) to be reliably within the domain of the same contributors/judges/viewing audience who use this venue to pat each other on the back and refrain altogether from critical discourse regarding composition/visual impact. It would seem that one of the judges could be a power meter measuring diffraction efficiency and one a spectrometer measuring bandwidth. For a change how about a collaborative project wherein a composite creation addresses a theme that will evoke genuine emotion. The endless war on terrorism; the plight of the uninsured; the impact of religion in our modern world; or the joy of childhood as examples. In my opinion this would foster a better spirit of community and inspire more outsiders (like me) to participate.
Hi ron i love your ideas for themes, have to pass it by colins and dave, the focus for a theme to stir creativity, to promote holography and peak the public intrest in holography, and also give some honor to ones that have spent so much hard work preparing art work for the contest, rember it all about stirring the creativity in holographers and the public
Colin Kaminski

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

ron olson wrote:I’m having difficulty in understanding the driving motivation for having this yearly contest. It appears to me (granted I’m something of an outsider) to be reliably within the domain of the same contributors/judges/viewing audience who use this venue to pat each other on the back and refrain altogether from critical discourse regarding composition/visual impact. It would seem that one of the judges could be a power meter measuring diffraction efficiency and one a spectrometer measuring bandwidth. For a change how about a collaborative project wherein a composite creation addresses a theme that will evoke genuine emotion. The endless war on terrorism; the plight of the uninsured; the impact of religion in our modern world; or the joy of childhood as examples. In my opinion this would foster a better spirit of community and inspire more outsiders (like me) to participate.
The origonal motivation was to get people off the forum and in the lab as we had a long period of people talking about holography but not doing it. Since then it has lacked guidance, mainly from my lack of attention to it. Passing the contest to Dave will help to bring new life into it. The main goal is to allow holographers of all levels to get feedback on their holograms and to promote the creation of more holograms.

In the long run I think the only thing that can make holography a true art form is to encourage people to explore the emotional medium it provides. However, there also needs to be a place for beginning holographers to simply work on their craft as well. I was trying to do that last year with making two size categories. I was hoping that the larger size category would be picked up my the more creative and the smaller category would be used be amateurs to hone their craft. It did not really work out that way. Mainly because of the lack of entries.
BobH

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by BobH »

I have a problem with any contest regarding art work, as I don't think it's fair and can't be judged. This is a hobbyist forum, so I think any contest here should be technical in nature. That would encourage those entering to do their best with what they have, and strive to improve their technical abilities. Who are we to judge artwork? Well, Ed is certainly qualified, and Jonathan Ross perhaps, but I still don't like the idea. One needs to be a very good technical holographer to make their own creative holograms, good enough so that the compromises to the technique don't interfere with the execution (and thereby the perception) of the concept. Or they need lots of money to have a professional studio to work in (where all the bugs have been worked out), or have the work done.

Categories might include film making, model making, <10mW, 10 - 200mW, >200mW, pulsed, DCG processing, silver halide processing, stray light baffling, special effects execution, finishing, and creative holography technique. Things that can be judged by the members here related to the skills needed to be successful making pictorial holograms, independent of the subject matter.
dave battin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by dave battin »

Good points Bob, I have the technical background to judge the clarity to a developed film, the better points of how an image is lit, or the way a double exposed hologram fades into another, that is what all holograms will be judged by in my eyes, as far as judging art, I can only leave that to the professional art holographers, how about Anna Maria Nicholson or Jody Burns or maybe Doris Villa, (just to name a few possibilities), would any of the meet you expatiations as judges? The underlying effort here is to encourage all to make a hologram and have them on display in as many public places as possible (to spread the word)………
BobH

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by BobH »

I really don't think art should be judged at all, just shown. Those we both mentioned can certainly judge the creative techniques and references used, but I don't know if they would want to rank compositions in any kind of order. And remember the Hilton Kramer (sp?) debacle of '75?
dave battin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by dave battin »

BobH wrote:I really don't think art should be judged at all, just shown. Those we both mentioned can certainly judge the creative techniques and references used, but I don't know if they would want to rank compositions in any kind of order. And remember the Hilton Kramer (sp?) debacle of '75?
if the grading system is similar to last years contest

http://holographyforum.org/phpBB2/viewt ... =16&t=5396

the total artistic percent was @ 40% which really has nothing to do how the hologram was made, this could be an advantage to someone with limited holographic skills............

again this would help encourage beginner skill levels to enter

and yes bob you have the spelling correct :)
Martin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Martin »

ron olson wrote: For a change how about a collaborative project wherein a composite creation addresses a theme that will evoke genuine emotion. The endless war on terrorism; the plight of the uninsured; the impact of religion in our modern world; or the joy of childhood as examples. In my opinion this would foster a better spirit of community and inspire more outsiders (like me) to participate.
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I get the impression we holographers are part of the U.S.A. (= United States of Amnesia) or the U.S.D. (= United States of Denial) but not of the real world.
BobH

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by BobH »

Martin wrote:
ron olson wrote: For a change how about a collaborative project wherein a composite creation addresses a theme that will evoke genuine emotion. The endless war on terrorism; the plight of the uninsured; the impact of religion in our modern world; or the joy of childhood as examples. In my opinion this would foster a better spirit of community and inspire more outsiders (like me) to participate.
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I get the impression we holographers are part of the U.S.A. (= United States of Amnesia) or the U.S.D. (= United States of Denial) but not of the real world.
That sounds like a great idea for a group show, but not a contest. Where's the competition? Who's to judge which hologram executes the concept best? What's "best"? I love the idea for a show, though. Perhaps we could put together a show like that for the upcoming ISDH in China next July. Maybe the Holocenter?