2008 Holography Contest?

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
Colin Kaminski

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

JohnFP wrote:Let me know if I can do anything.
Strong arm some entrants!
Danny Bee

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Danny Bee »

Colin Kaminski wrote:
JohnFP wrote:Let me know if I can do anything.
Strong arm some entrants!
ya sometimes it takes that, or a good talker or car salesmen, or a good candy bar :D
mkrjf

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by mkrjf »

Colin -
Thanks very much for all the time you invested last year. I would be interested again this year depending on the categories. I am mostly interested in larger format pulse and digital.
Are there any themes? Maybe the categories should not be small and large but rather multi-color, monochrome, digital or maybe abstract / model making / live / Holographic optical element? ;) I realize not everyone has access to expensive equipment or interest in spending $$ just to meet an entry criteria. So hopefully the categories would not force that.

For last year I submitted a pulse hologram I made at Rob Taylor's studio. This year I would like to submit a pulse hologram made at Holocenter in NYC, or possibly a digital stereogram printed for me by Ultimate (Geola also offers digital stereogram printing). I have some ideas for prizes (but would like Colin's opinion first).

If you want Holocenter to get involved for presentation / judging I suggest you send them an email! But I am sure they would be interested in at least displaying.
Thanks,
mike finegan
Danny Bee

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Danny Bee »

mkrjf wrote:Colin -
Thanks very much for all the time you invested last year. I would be interested again this year depending on the categories. I am mostly interested in larger format pulse and digital.
Are there any themes? Maybe the categories should not be small and large but rather multi-color, monochrome, digital or maybe abstract / model making / live / Holographic optical element? ;) I realize not everyone has access to expensive equipment or interest in spending $$ just to meet an entry criteria. So hopefully the categories would not force that.

For last year I submitted a pulse hologram I made at Rob Taylor's studio. This year I would like to submit a pulse hologram made at Holocenter in NYC, or possibly a digital stereogram printed for me by Ultimate (Geola also offers digital stereogram printing). I have some ideas for prizes (but would like Colin's opinion first).

If you want Holocenter to get involved for presentation / judging I suggest you send them an email! But I am sure they would be interested in at least displaying.
Thanks,
mike finegan
thanks for all great ideas...Yes that has been considered when dave and I brain stormed about this years contest, Dave has some contacts at Holocenter in NYC, Information about this years contest is forthcoming.... so please stay tune .... as we work out the details...
dave battin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by dave battin »

I was hoping to start a poll to see how many entrants will be "IN" this year, and now it seems the poll is no longer an option. Can we have another show of hands as how many want/will enter this year? Don’t be intimated by the fact you can only make a small hologram, it’s important all who enter have an equal chance to win...........
JohnFP

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by JohnFP »

Hey Dave, just a few suggestions. I usually dont enter contests until I know what they are about. We may have better luck if you lay down an overview of the contest. As of yet we have not even heard of a theme or format. WE have already heard whom is interested in this thread. I suggest we move forward and give some specifics then we can pole entrants again.

I also think if the contest or part of the contest is designed to encourage true weekend hobbiests ameteurs then we may get more bites.

Also, usually a contest is only worth entering if the prize is worth it. If we can get some "donations" and can state the prizes, that may also encourage people to enter. I belive if the donation is made unanomounsly then the person donating could still enter without "swaying" the judges. I suggest someone other the the judges to collect the donation or money and then give "pot" standing periodially.

FInally, I personally find it hard with my busy life to get into the lab as much as I want and others may be on the same page. Some may have a table geometry or artwork they are currently working on and to switch to meet the "theme" of the contest may take some reconfiguration, so I suggest lengthing the time to turn in the hologram to a few months at least.

These are just some of my personal suggestions and they are surely up for debate if anyone cares to comment.
Colin Kaminski

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Dave and I will post the full information this weekend.
Danny Bee

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by Danny Bee »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Dave and I will post the full information this weekend.
yes we really need to run things by Dave he has some really good ideas for this contest, which will really put a whole new look to the contest, like online contest form, a site for the contest entries, with a bio page for each one of the entries, and so much more......the timing for this is so right! I have just seen in my area where I live, the doors opening for the promotion of holography both amateur and pro. I believe this next year will be an explosive year for holography and more opportunities for sharing the art of holography...2009 The Year of the Holographer :D
ron olson

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by ron olson »

I’m having difficulty in understanding the driving motivation for having this yearly contest. It appears to me (granted I’m something of an outsider) to be reliably within the domain of the same contributors/judges/viewing audience who use this venue to pat each other on the back and refrain altogether from critical discourse regarding composition/visual impact. It would seem that one of the judges could be a power meter measuring diffraction efficiency and one a spectrometer measuring bandwidth. For a change how about a collaborative project wherein a composite creation addresses a theme that will evoke genuine emotion. The endless war on terrorism; the plight of the uninsured; the impact of religion in our modern world; or the joy of childhood as examples. In my opinion this would foster a better spirit of community and inspire more outsiders (like me) to participate.
dave battin

2008 Holography Contest?

Post by dave battin »

thanks for your enthusiam john, ill try to reply to your statments;
JohnFP wrote:Hey Dave, just a few suggestions. I usually dont enter contests until I know what they are about.

thats an easy one john its all about holography and its promotion

JohnFP wrote:I also think if the contest or part of the contest is designed to encourage true weekend hobbiests ameteurs then we may get more bites.
yes we want to encourage all holographic types to get involved, as i stated above"Don’t be intimated by the fact you can only make a small hologram, it’s important all who enter have an equal chance to win..........."

JohnFP wrote:Also, usually a contest is only worth entering if the prize is worth it. If we can get some "donations" and can state the prizes,

i know of two good prizes already ,(without any solitation).some of the "donations" from last year we not ever donated! we will ensure it wont happen this year!
JohnFP wrote: I suggest someone other the the judges to collect the donation or money and then give "pot" standing periodially.
and the reason for that is ?
JohnFP wrote:FInally, I personally find it hard with my busy life to get into the lab as much as I want and others may be on the same page.so I suggest lengthing the time to turn in the hologram to a few months at least.

yes good one..........