2008 Holography Contest is now open !

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Ok here we go, please remember this contest is really about making holograms, showing them to the public and giving reconition to those who put the effort to make them. GOOD LUCK TO ALL..........

Rules,

1. All entrants need holograms postmarked 12/1/08.
2. There are two categories. One is Beginner,. The other is Advanced. Please specify what category you wish to enter however the judges will decide what category the hologram belongs in!
3. Every effort will be made to protect the holograms but the responsibility of insurance (optional)on the holograms lies with the entrant!
4. All holograms will be returned to the entrant if the entrant provides reusable packaging and return postage.
5. The Judges will evaluate the holograms for:

Technical:
Processing 10pts.
Brightness 10pts.
Mounting 10pts.
Difficulty 20pts
Aberrations 10pts

Artistic:
Composition 10pts.
True to Theme 10pts
Emotional Impact 10 pts
Overall impression 10pts

7. The decisions of the Judges are final.
8. Prizes to be announced., ALL entrants WILL receive a prize just for entering!
9. Entrants need not be a member of the Holography Forum.
10. All entries must be mailed to me, for my address email me @ holoart@aol.com

All entries must include:

Hologram Title
Entrants Complete Name
Entrants Complete Address
Entrants Phone Number
Optional photo of holographer/s (for gallery page)
Any information or processing detail that can be shared.(for gallery page)

11. All entrants agree to allow the use of a photo of the hologram for the on-line contest gallery.
12. The winners agree to allow the Holography Forum to use an image of the Hologram as Advertising.
13. All entrants agree to allow the hologram to be used in a gallery showings

Theme NATURE

An on line submittal form is being composed and should be up and running shortly.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Dave, any definition of the word?

From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
Main Entry: na·ture
Pronunciation: \ˈnā-chər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin natura, from natus, past participle of nasci to be born — more at nation
Date: 14th century
1 a: the inherent character or basic constitution of a person or thing : essence b: disposition, temperament
2 a: a creative and controlling force in the universe b: an inner force or the sum of such forces in an individual
3: a kind or class usually distinguished by fundamental or essential characteristics <documents of a confidential nature> <acts of a ceremonial nature>
4: the physical constitution or drives of an organism; especially : an excretory organ or function —used in phrases like the call of nature
5: a spontaneous attitude (as of generosity)
6: the external world in its entirety
7 a: humankind's original or natural condition b: a simplified mode of life resembling this condition
8: the genetically controlled qualities of an organism
9: natural scenery
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

JohnFP wrote:Dave, any definition of the word?

From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
Main Entry: na·ture
Pronunciation: \ˈnā-chər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin natura, from natus, past participle of nasci to be born — more at nation
Date: 14th century
1 a: the inherent character or basic constitution of a person or thing : essence b: disposition, temperament
2 a: a creative and controlling force in the universe b: an inner force or the sum of such forces in an individual
3: a kind or class usually distinguished by fundamental or essential characteristics <documents of a confidential nature> <acts of a ceremonial nature>
4: the physical constitution or drives of an organism; especially : an excretory organ or function —used in phrases like the call of nature
5: a spontaneous attitude (as of generosity)
6: the external world in its entirety
7 a: humankind's original or natural condition b: a simplified mode of life resembling this condition
8: the genetically controlled qualities of an organism
9: natural scenery
yes John I think so....this is great john, can I use this for the contest web site john? the contest site will be up just as soon as Colin and Dave aprove it.... this years contest is going to be great :)
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Yes, good show john! We wanted this to be a very open topic, universal in its interpretation. I look forward to your input (and others) on this subject !The closing of this contest is after the long thanksgiving weekend in hopes of giving everyone that ever precious time in there labs to complete their holograms.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

I assume the entry hologram should be made sometime during the contest time frame and not be any old hologram lying around, though I understand that this is impossible to verify. This should make things a bit more equal between participants. We´ve had this discussion during earlier contests.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Yes the equality is the key here. It’s hard to say if it’s a H1 made previously and now you submit a copy of it who's to say? I’d be glad to just see you entered any way! :lol:
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

My goal for the contest is to get people in the lab that have not been there for a while. You know who we are... ;)
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

You know who we are... :wink:
I see that "JohnFP" in between the second and third period... :oops:
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

dave battin wrote:Yes, good show john! We wanted this to be a very open topic, universal in its interpretation. I look forward to your input (and others) on this subject !The closing of this contest is after the long thanksgiving weekend in hopes of giving everyone that ever precious time in there labs to complete their holograms.
Ok, my input is...it is fine to use the full definitions of the word but it has to be known to the judges that any definition of the word can be used. I believe the judges would have to really look at and study all definitions and take that into consideration when judging.

I believe this to be a very good theme as it does allow a lot of possibilites for artistic expression. Good call!
Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

I am guessing spitting in some elses IPA or developer would be considered fowl play and not encouraged right? :) :?

Looking forward to this, will be the first time I will be thinking more of the holography in art and not art of holography.

Good luck all, many thanks to those who are cattle prodding us back in the lab :)