I just don't get it

The 2008 Contest is Now Open!
Dutchelm05

I just don't get it

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Many of you who know me know that I am a live and let live kind of guy
But in this case I don't get it. The forum is a place where holographers come together joined by a common passion. We exchange ideas and sometimes have a laugh or two. However, I am a bit baffled why the contest is treated like the girl with a case of panty crickets.
I think it was great that folks submitted their work and that Dave took the time and effort to display the holograms somewhere so people can see. I understand why there were perhaps so few entries, people are busy or perhaps or don't like contest, but what I don't understand is the lack of response when a winner was announced, 57 views, 3 responses. For myself it was not to win, but to participate and force myself to produce a creative and best hologram I could.
Although part of me does not expect a response for this post, but if some are so inclined I would like to know why. Is the contest a bad idea and be discontinued? Is holography simply a dying sport?
BobH

I just don't get it

Post by BobH »

I'll add my two cents and say I think it's the "nature" of contests to push people apart instead of pulling them together. A contest in a very large group is one thing, but one amongst a very small group, where qualified judges are impossible to find outside of the participants is another.

I appreciate Dave's work on this and respect his opinions of the entries. I think a contest is a bad thing for this group and won't be participating in another as I don't respect the opinions of the general public (the apparent judges in this past one), who've probably never seen a hologram, and don't think any single one person should judge the work.

Let's do a show instead. Is there any place (besides the local public library) that will show holography anywhere in the United States? Is there anyone that's interested in producing a show of newly created holography, even if it's small in size?

Another reason I think there's a lack of interest in the results of this contest is the long time between submission and resolution. Essentially three and a half months.
Danny Bee

I just don't get it

Post by Danny Bee »

yes im working on this idea for next year (Show+Contest+teaching) for 3 cites maybe 4, and also maybe a display at photonics, Im using my working with parks & recreation dept...talk to bob on the phone he liked the idea, also would like to talk with you tony about the idea
Colin Kaminski

I just don't get it

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The social dynamic of holographers is very different. There is a reason we sit in the dark and play with lasers. :wink:
Dutchelm05

I just don't get it

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Colin Kaminski wrote:The social dynamic of holographers is very different. There is a reason we sit in the dark and play with lasers.
Hence our current state

Danny and Bob I have put in a contact for the Children's Discovery Musuem here in San Jose. It is a long shot since they normally get there ideas from the inside meaning their inner circles folks. But I will see what happens.The Tech Musuem maybe be another possible place. Doesn't hurt to try :wall: .... much
Colin Kaminski

I just don't get it

Post by Colin Kaminski »

In the winter the Lawrence Hall of Science is desperate to bring in visitors. There is usually exhibit space. If we wanted to make a permanent exhibit we could likely get it installed at the San Francisco Exploritorium. That would require donations of holograms. I think that might be a better use of our time than a contest.

The idea of the contest was to get people making holograms. Perhaps having a permanent exhibit at a science museum would get more people excited.
dave battin

I just don't get it

Post by dave battin »

while is nice to dream about having a nice display in a musuem , when it comes down to it, and you only have three guys entering the contest what will you do?
i can only hope the holographers on this site will get off their asses and donate a hologram for the cause, i for one will donate a hologam(s)for this cause. maybe we can get all the winning holograms from years past and have them there also. Inaki stated he would donate the winner of last yea
rs contest (me)a "grommet dog"hologram... maybe its time to collect it! I had hopes of getting some grant money for next years contest to help w/shipping insurance etc... well more bad news, the International Holography Fund is now out of money according to my emails with Andrew Pepper. :(
what ever it takes you guys can count ME in!
Danny Bee

I just don't get it

Post by Danny Bee »

I have several things in the works...it will take a bit of time to tie up lose ends but if this works out .... It will be a step up from last year it will be traveling show having a gallery + Contest + teaching ,maybe starting from photonics west :pray: one could enter into the Gallery to have ther hologram shown or the contest part the prize will beee :dance: stay tuned it will be good
boblatterman

I just don't get it

Post by boblatterman »

Jerome Arizona - Spook Hall would be a great and cheap (inexpensive) spot to run a holography show.
Tom B.

I just don't get it

Post by Tom B. »

Re Museum display idea:

I would consider indefinitely loaning or possibly even donating a piece if I knew it was going to be properly lit in a good environment where lots of people would see it. Maybe "Homeland Hijinx", with a suitably cynical and unsubtle subtitle - "Your tax dollars at work". Or something like that. I wouldn't want to be the first to participate for fear that nothing would happen and the piece would disappear into the international holographic black market, eventually adorning the walls of the commander of some CIA black site in Elbonia.

But you can count me as somewhat interested.