pseudocolour with PFG-01

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

because im buying the chemicals individually im not bound to the premixed solutions by integraf.

what is about the EDTA in metol ascorbate developer, could i try that aswell.

by all means i want to get away from the potassium dichromate.

My PFG-01 films always get a yellowish colour.

I want them transparent.
Ed Wesly

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Ed Wesly »

The processing you want is Kodak formulae D-8, D-11, or D-19; CWC2 or similar developer, but not the Pyrochrome developer; Fe EDTA, Copper Sulfate (JD3 or 4) bleach, or the dreaded PBQ. Anything that keeps the color of the laser.

Since writing that TEA article many moons ago, I had found out from Greg Cherry and Nancy Gorglione that they spun dry their plates to avoid the squeegee problems. They had a honking huge 208 V three phase motor to hold 8 by 10 inch, 30 by 40 cm and even 50 by 60 cm plates and spin them real fast!

Since readers are taking lasers out of DVD players, those motors or from hard drive or CD players could be used for te spin cycle!
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

do you think the rotation of an old record player is enough ?
MichaelH

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by MichaelH »

While squeegeeing does have its risks, with some care you can get consistent scratch-free results every time and it doesn't require the same clean-up and safety considerations that a spin-box would. Plus, PFG-01 is a nice relatively hard emulsion that is suitable for squeegee work (unlike PFG-03 which is likely to come off the plate when *looked at* by a squeegee).

Here are the methods I use. I only have problems when I don't take care to make sure my squeegee is clean.

http://www.dragonseye.com/blog/archives ... eeing.html
BobH

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by BobH »

do you think the rotation of an old record player is enough ?

No. Greg's system used much, much higher speeds, and was very dangerous. I think he had it in a steel enclosure for reasons only high speed physics or Steven King could conjure. :o
Colin Kaminski

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Colin Kaminski »

EdWesly wrote:The processing you want is Kodak formulae D-8, D-11, or D-19; CWC2 or similar developer, but not the Pyrochrome developer; Fe EDTA, Copper Sulfate (JD3 or 4) bleach, or the dreaded PBQ. Anything that keeps the color of the laser.

I have had nice results with D-19 and Fe EDTA. Both formulations are on the wiki. In the US I can get D-19 in a box at the local photography store.
Ed Wesly

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Ed Wesly »

But don't throw out that record player, especially if it's got 78 rpm! Rich Rallison, DCG master regularly advocated that speed for foot square coatings, and I have successfully coated photo-resist on plates up to 42" square at less than 100 rpm (against all conventional wisdom)! (A tip of the hat to Steve Provence for that trick!)
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

today I listened to the holo talk

and they talked about pseudocolour

great show !

the guy that was interviewed, I guess Inaki Beguiristain was his name

he was talking about the developer and bleach he used for his pseudocolour hologram (its on 12min20sec in the 31min33sec interview)

http://www.holoworld.com/holotalk/index.html

first he does the TEA treatment

then he uses for developement

10g pyrogallol in one liter of water

and

60g of sodium carbonate in another liter of water and before developement he mixes both solutions

i couldnt find that formula in the holo wiki

for bleaching he uses the EDTA-bleach i guess thats this one:
Fe-EDTA Bleach

* EDTA (2Na) 30g
* Fe(III) Sulfate 30g
* Potassium Bromide 30g
* Sodium Hydrogen Sulfate Crystals 30g
* Water to 1000ml

is there anyone who tried this chemistry yet ?
Ed Wesly

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Ed Wesly »

The developer can be found here:

http://holographyforum.org/files/pyroab.htm

The bleach is just one of the variations on Fe EDTA, this one makes it in solution, and instead of liquid sulfuric acid the powdered form is used.

Both work well, although I have never used both in conjunction. Read Pyro AB to find out why.

He probably did this to counteract some shrinkage from the Grman made BB plates he was using, if I know the holograms he is talking about making, circa 1997.

What I did do to counteract the shrinkage I found with the BB-640 plates was to use their pyrogallol based developer, see their web site, because it's a bit more energetic than the basic pyro, and PBQ bleach, because I'm still trying to use all I have left up!
Kiffdino

pseudocolour with PFG-01

Post by Kiffdino »

thankyou for the link,

though i didnt understand alot from the article

so ill stick with the cwc2 developer

but i still dont know where i can get the one gram of copper bromide from - for the PBU-AMIDOL re-halogenating BLEACH

is it possilbe to not put it in ?