new Laser

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Tony

new Laser

Post by Tony »

http://members.misty.com/don/laserfaq.htm#faqtocEven if there's a bit of cable left sticking out, I would suggest opening up the laser and reconnecting new cable. You don't want to trust a layer of tape at 4kV (more at startup).

Also, you must observe polarity, or the laser will die quickly.

There's lot's of tips about this on Sam's web page:

http://members.misty.com/don/laserfaq.htm#faqtoc
dave battin

new Laser

Post by dave battin »

one way to make the connection is to solder the two ends and slide a small glass tube over the connection (assuming the polarity is correct) and then TOTALY fill this tube with a rtv or silicone product . ive also seen this spark easly jump an inch so, so please be VERY careful !

you might be able to purchase a non working hene(very cheaply) housing and reuse the alden clip and wire ........
Last edited by dave battin on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiffdino

new Laser

Post by Kiffdino »

this whole thing sounds way too dangerous for me.

i think i stick with used 10mW laser from meredith.

That way ill be sure everything works fine.

Do you think ill still be able to get bright holograms with that ?

10 mW ist not a blast, but i cant afford alot more then 300 dollars for a complete system.

Though I read on SAMs laser faq that, hene lasers loose power after a while.
dave battin

new Laser

Post by dave battin »

i purchased a 35 mw siemens on ebay for @$250 and it works great. keep watching/waiting and you can get a bargin .........
ErichRose

new Laser

Post by ErichRose »

If you have stability, 10mw is plenty. I did almost all my early work with a 5mw HeNe. I did a number of transmission pieces both laser and white light. I did multi color white light pieces made from 2x10 inch slit H1s copied to 4x5s. They came out plenty bright. If you have stability long exposures can be just fine. Some of my exposures were as long as 12 minutes. I did that work on a 4x8 foot sand table. You have to figure out what length of exposure your table can handle.

For laser safety and just to get a better idea what you are working with follow that link to Sam's web pages and read them carefully.
Kiffdino

new Laser

Post by Kiffdino »

look what I found on the big E

its a coherent compass

http://cgi.ebay.de/C29914-Coherent-Comp ... dZViewItem

isnt this everyone here is dreaming about ?

what powersupply would I need for that ??

is the price reasonable ? and will i need a controller additionally to that ?
Joe Farina

new Laser

Post by Joe Farina »

Kiffdino wrote:isnt this everyone here is dreaming about?
No. First of all, though the seller says it looks like it's in good cosmetic condition, the darn thing looks like it's been through a fire! Most importantly, though, the seller has not tested the laser. You must insist on a tested, working 315. Otherwise, you may be buying something that is totally useless. Not only must the seller guarantee that it works, but in my opinion the output power must be known as well, and the seller should essentially guarantee that it's in the range you expect. With regards to the 315, maybe we have been spoiled in recent years by those excellent ones that were offered by Sal (Mr. Gizmos). They were tested by Sam G. and guaranteed to be around 100mW (the one in the above eBay link was "specified" at only 20mW). I got one from Sal when they first became available, for only $1,000. Some lucky people were able to get these while they were still cheap, and the price subsequently went up (to $1,699 as I recall). I just checked the Mr. Gizmos website, and I couldn't find them anymore, maybe they are finally gone.