Walking Through Walls?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
DrOutlier

Walking Through Walls?

Post by DrOutlier »

8) In science fiction (particularly television like the Automan series) holograms can walk through solid objects like walls. It seems strange that visible light can go through an opaque solid. I've never even found a good universal remote that can send an infrared signal very far through a wall. Any thoughts on if there's a scientific basis? Quantum teleportation perhaps? Quantum tunneling of visible photons doesn't make sense.

Have a good dash.
Tom B.

Walking Through Walls?

Post by Tom B. »

Perhaps I'm off-base, but I got the impression from Colin's intro that this section was for serious questions from beginning holographers rather than for just wanking around. Maybe the aptly named off-topic section would be more appropriate for this sort of thing?
DrOutlier

Walking Through Walls?

Post by DrOutlier »

8) You don't think this is a serious question a beginner would ask?

P.S. Keep in mind that slang terms in Canada might not mean what you want in another region, eh? :-) Sorry, I am an American.
MichaelH

Walking Through Walls?

Post by MichaelH »

DrOutlier wrote:Any thoughts on if there's a scientific basis? Quantum teleportation perhaps?

No, I don't believe there's any scientific basis for the phenomenon in Automan. I believe it's just a device used by the writers to keep whatever story they have going.
ErichRose

Walking Through Walls?

Post by ErichRose »

Sorry Dr Outlier, but I agree it doesn''t belong in the Beginning Holography section. I would also suggest it goes in the Off-Topic section.

Or maybe (Colin groans here) we should have a Holographic Theory section where such ideas can be discussed.
MichaelH

Walking Through Walls?

Post by MichaelH »

While I responded to the question I agree with Erich and Tom. This doesn't really seem like a serious question, but that may be my own bias against the Automan (TV) reference.
DrOutlier

Walking Through Walls?

Post by DrOutlier »

I am a beginner. I asked a simple serious question. I am sorry.

We should probably change the intro. under Beginning Holography. The last thing we need is some twelve-year-old asking how they make that hologram effect on television and leave thinking the Mr. Wizard fans have a caste system where know-nothings are banished to off-topic before they can even hear about matteing.
MichaelH

Walking Through Walls?

Post by MichaelH »

DrOutlier wrote:I am a beginner. I asked a simple serious question. I am sorry.

We should probably change the intro. under Beginning Holography. The last thing we need is some twelve-year-old asking how they make that hologram effect on television and leave thinking the Mr. Wizard fans have a caste system where know-nothings are banished to off-topic before they can even hear about matteing.

The problems with your statement are:

1) You aren't a twelve-year old (at least, you don't look like one) and we know that.

2) You're asking about a science fiction show.

3) The subject was about a hologram walking through a wall. Holograms can't yet walk so the question about them going through walls is an extension of something that's already impossible.

Given those, the assumption that it's not a serious question isn't far-fetched.
ErichRose

Walking Through Walls?

Post by ErichRose »

Dr Outlier, In your original post you begin the question "In science fiction..." so you obviously realized you were asking about something a bit extraordinary, not a "beginners" issue. And I did agree with Tom B that it is a bit of a "waste of time" in the beginners section. When I click on that topic I expect to discuss much more practical matters such as best methods, basic chemistry or how-to stuff, and so on. So please don't get too defensive about the issue of where it should be posted.

Now as far as the concept you wish to discuss... As a fan of science fiction I know enough to realize that some authors develop their work around plausible science and some not all, or at least well beyond known possibilities. Science fiction has often been full of fascinating concepts that eventually came to be. Just read some of Arthur C. Clarke's early works. One day there just may be an elevator to space. So I have no problem with a discussion about the question of "how would a hologram walk through a wall." Let's just move it ot the Off-Topic section.