Triethanolamine

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Keef333

Triethanolamine

Post by Keef333 »

I just started making holograms with one of the 5mw diode kits from Integraf...So I am sorry if I sound stupid. I am a total amature.

Anyway, my first question is how does this TEA stuff work and where can you buy it?
Tom B.

Triethanolamine

Post by Tom B. »

TEA can be used to do two things:

1) To increase film sensitivity to allow reduced exposure time. A soak in TEA solution can boost sensitivity by a factor of two or more.

2) To shift the color of reflection holograms so that when exposed with a red laser the hologram comes out yellow or green.

TEA is mixed with water (usually distilled or deionized water is used) and the film is soaked in the solution for a short time, say 30 seconds, and withdrawn. Then the film is squeegeed with a rubber wiper to remove most of the liquid and dried. It requires some practice to learn to smoothly squeegee the film so there are no visible streaks or spots in the final hologram. It is then ready for exposure. If only the sensitivity boost is wanted with no color shift, the TEA can be rinsed out before squeegeeing and drying.

The amount of color shift is determined by the TEA to water percentage. After squeegeeing, the gelatin film is swollen to a uniform thickness by the absorbed water and TEA. The water evaporates but the TEA is left behind. If there was no TEA, it would shrink back to its original thickness and if it was 100% TEA it would hardly shrink back at all. Usually between 5 to 20 percent TEA is used to get colors (for a red laser) between yellow and green. When the hologram is made with the swollen gelatin, the fringes are recorded at their normal spacing but when the gelatin shrinks back to its original thickness after washing and drying, the fringes move closer together, shifting the hologram replay wavelength toward the blue end of the spectrum.

I get my TEA from these guys: http://www.photoformulary.com

They also sell holography developers, etc.
Last edited by Tom B. on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kaminski

Triethanolamine

Post by Colin Kaminski »

You may also find this interesting:

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... nolimining
Keef333

Triethanolamine

Post by Keef333 »

Thank you both so much. The information you both have given is great!

I have so much to learn and it is really great to have somewhere to ask the questions.
Colin Kaminski

Triethanolamine

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Welcome aboard!
MichaelH

Triethanolamine

Post by MichaelH »

One thing to keep in mind when using TEA is that you'll have to do your own experimentation to find what combination of TEA % and film and processing regime gives you the colors you desire.

Each type of emulsion will give you different results with the same TEA % and there are even slight differences between batches of the same emulsion type.

I also recommend you choose a developer/bleach combination that doesn't shrink the film so that the only "color" variable is the TEA treatment.
Keef333

Triethanolamine

Post by Keef333 »

Sounds like it is just going to take some experimentation on my part...but I love that type of thing so its ok.

I am using the PFG-03M plates with the JD-4 Developer form Integraf.
ErichRose

Triethanolamine

Post by ErichRose »

Many moons ago when I first played around with Trieth I made two of each test when running through the various percentages. Just to make sure I could get some consistancy. Many of the extras became gifts for friends and colleagues.

All were single beam reflections on 4x5 plates (Agfa 8E75) of one of my favorite little compositions. The art/model was all black and white so they were easy to compare. But now, years later, and after all the talk about color holography, I wish they had been of something with a variety of colors, even a full spectrum's worth, with shades of gray and brown so that I would have learned something about what colors "read" best at the various playback colors. Just a thought...
Pianomaxx

Triethanolamine

Post by Pianomaxx »

Hello Keef,

I also started my experiments with the Integraf kits last year, it's a convenient way to become addicted to holography ;-) . This weekend I am planning some experiments with my freshly arrived TEA (and other stuff).

The colour of the hologram depends also a bit on the humidity and temperature during the exposure, because the humid air swells the emulsion. You can make a test: record a holo, develop and bleach it, and then exhale onto the emulsion, so it will absorb humidity and result in an immediate colour shift to - guess? -

best regards,

pianomaxx
Keef333

Triethanolamine

Post by Keef333 »

Umm...green? blue?

No idea :) ...but I will try it and find out!

Thanks.