HeNe Power

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Keef333

HeNe Power

Post by Keef333 »

Hey everyone, another newbie question here.

Are the power supplies for the HeNe lasers able to plug into the wall or do they need to be hard-wired into a breaker?
LarryD

HeNe Power

Post by LarryD »

Most that I have used have been stripped from old equipment, and as such usually have had the power input wires cut.

Check the power requirements of the model you have to make sure that the input accepts AC or DC and at the appropriate voltage level.

I have always just used wire nuts and attached a spare 120VAC (that's what my supllies wanted) power cord. Use of a power-strip with a breaker would add a layer of "protection" to your house wires just in case the supply is bad.
Keef333

HeNe Power

Post by Keef333 »

That makes sense. Thank you for answering.
Tom B.

HeNe Power

Post by Tom B. »

Just to clarify - power requirements for HeNe lasers are generally low enough that their power supplies can use normal wall outlets. Higher power argon lasers often require special wiring, sometimes even industrial 3-phase circuits.
ErichRose

HeNe Power

Post by ErichRose »

As Larry mentioned check the label on the supply to confirm the input voltage. Most are 120VAC but some supplies are 12 or 24 VDC. And make sure you use a grounded cord.

You may want to put the supply in a small "project box" or other enclosure. Then I would suggest the following additions: mount the power cord with a secure strain relief device to keep it from being jerked loose when you trip over it in the dark; add an indicator lamp so you know when it's on (small green LED); the power switch can be either a simple toggle or if the laser is on the more powerful side, say < 5mw, make it a key switch so you can secure it against accidentaly being turned on by small children or innebriated friends.

And as mentioned in earlier posts be careful around the output wires. That big big white insulated alden connector is a must for safety.
Keef333

HeNe Power

Post by Keef333 »

Thanks.

All this new iformation makes me REALLY want to upgarde from my tiny 5mw diode to a more powerful gas laser!

I guess I should start saving my money!