Transmission questions

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
BobH

Transmission questions

Post by BobH »

You sound like a real enthusiast if you've got through 25 shots and want to do more! :D Please don't take offense, but I'd recommend that you use your computer to buy any book about making holograms, and give it a quick browsing. The best is by Saxby. Get the cheapest, oldest version, used. You'll have it forever and use it alot.

You've seen that holograms can be made with the beam diverging straight out of the laser and no other optics or hardware. You can even make beautifull, significantly creative, technically complex and challenging, and professionally finished holograms in a single diverging beam. It would be like a photographer using a pinhole camera, black & white film and available lighting.

Get the book anyway. :wink:
ErichRose

Transmission questions

Post by ErichRose »

BobH you are absolutely right. I shouldn't have used the word "always" especially when trying to do short hand to something that takes some explanation. As you mentioned when designing a hologram to be produced from a master one needs to work out the geometry and matching beams is all part of that. It's always best to learn the correct way to produce a "true" image before one starts goofing around with effects.

But when one doesn't have the kind of optics required to either collimate a beam large enough to illuminate a large plate or a lense or concave mirror capable of producing a "converging" beam the best alternative is a long throw with minimal divergence.

Keef333's accomplishments with the simplest equipment sounds pretty good. I would hate to lead him to thinking he has to jump up to large expensive* optics in order to persue new directions. There is lots of fun and informative stuff he can do before he has to think about large collimators.

*Used or discount optics big enough for an 8x10 master are not always available when you need 'em.
Keef333

Transmission questions

Post by Keef333 »

BobH,

Thanks for the support. I will look into getting the book.

I know I have a lot to learn...but learning it sure is fun! :D

I get a little green with envy when I see other people's lab setups...I cant wait until I have the knowlege and equipment needed to create more sophisticated holograms!
Pianomaxx

Transmission questions

Post by Pianomaxx »

Keef333 wrote:BobH,
Thanks for the support. I will look into getting the book.
I know I have a lot to learn...but learning it sure is fun! :D

I get a little green with envy when I see other people's lab setups...I cant wait until I have the knowlege and equipment needed to create more sophisticated holograms!

Hello Keef,

don't suppose that you can't record great holograms without an expensive setup! In other words: The less equipment you've got, the more fun you have in experimenting, improvising, learning, and getting your desired result with a minimum of resources. I did a bright transmission hologram and a nice copy on H2, only with a surface mirror and a lens (f=25mm). You can also do this with the Integraf Diode, maybe the elliptical beam works even better. KISS - Keep It Simple and Stupid. Of course, there's more artistic freedom and a wider range of adjustments when you use a 2-beam-setup like in books - but then you need at least a beamsplitter and two expanding lenses, and stability can become a problem.

Or would you prefer to spend some 1000 $ for a perfect table, optics and equipment, and the only thing whats left to do, is to open the shutter? Anyway, it's a matter of inclination, if you like to focus mostly on the technical or the artistic part.

best regards,

Max
MichaelH

Transmission questions

Post by MichaelH »

Pianomaxx wrote:KISS - Keep It Simple and Stupid

I love it when translations go awry. :-)

That "and" shouldn't be in there :-)
Colin Kaminski

Transmission questions

Post by Colin Kaminski »

MichaelH wrote:
Pianomaxx wrote:KISS - Keep It Simple and Stupid
I love it when translations go awry. :-)

That "and" shouldn't be in there :-)

I always teach children that it stands for Keep it Sweet and Simple. :)
Keef333

Transmission questions

Post by Keef333 »

Hey Pianomaxx,

So far I have been focusing mostly on the artistic side. Mostly because I am still learning the technical! I am just happy to be able to make a hologram.

:D
Kaveh

Transmission questions

Post by Kaveh »

Keef333 wrote:Hey Pianomaxx,

So far I have been focusing mostly on the artistic side. Mostly because I am still learning the technical! I am just happy to be able to make a hologram.
:D

Keep at it, and keep firing your questions for the dedicated holographers here.

My firm belief is that once you have mastered the principles and the optics of holography, you can be more creative too. For instance you might want to make an image "swing" wildly as you move around, or some other effect. Knowing the principles allows you to create those effects predictably.