I need your help about holographic 3d images

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

germacran wrote:hi
thanks for information but i have some questions :
- are hologram film colors fade out after exposing the sun light like so ?

"][/URL]

become so
[m"][/URL]
- this means if i want to use hologram films i will use it inside offices, halls , places don't exposed to direct sun light
- what about silver halide films , what about its colors ,fade out or not ?
- what is the difference in colors between hologram film and silver halide film which one is clearly more than the other , is the method of photography in the two films are the same or not ?
No, the result is the image becomes dimmer against a black background. In the beginning you can deny the image is fading but after a while it is quite obvious. It is called printout.
DJ Mathson

Post by DJ Mathson »

germacran wrote:hi
thanks for information but i have some questions :
- are hologram film colors fade out after exposing the sun light like so ?
- this means if i want to use hologram films i will use it inside offices, halls , places don't exposed to direct sun light
- what about silver halide films , what about its colors ,fade out or not ?
- what is the difference in colors between hologram film and silver halide film which one is clearly more than the other , is the method of photography in the two films are the same or not ?
Silver halide film is the most used holographic film medium for display holograms. A hologram is a recording of an interference pattern in a medium, in the case of a silver halide it is a gelatin layer with silver bromide in it. You could say that you take a black and white photograph of an interference pattern and by that get microscopic fringes recorded in the medium. These small fringes will diffract light when you shine light on the hologram. So a hologram has no color in itself. Ordinary reflection holograms will only reflect one color, that is they are monochromatic. By using several lasers with different colors or by using emulsion swelling techniques during the exposure it is possible to get more colors reflected from a hologram. The recorded fringes are sensitive to sunlight (UV-light) and may degrade and then the hologram will get dimmer. I suppose you could use UV-blocking glass in front of the hologram to prevent this.

There are holographic techniques callad holographic stereograms, where you use many photographs taken from different angles (up to several thousand images) and record these into a hologram. There are a few companies making these, like Geola which call them synfograms. They can make full color holograms. This may be something for you.

Geola´s synfograms
http://www.geola.lt/show.php?lang=eng&c ... index_left
favalora

Post by favalora »

Hi -

I'll tread lightly here, but let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Won't the imagery have limited depth and the usual limited field-of-view - resulting in a less-than-spectacular appearance from the road? I really don't think that today's holographic technology is suited for large-scale, outdoor advertising if the viewer is many meters away.

I wonder if instead something like a lenticular - but with huuuuge lenslets - or perhaps even a weird parallax barrier display might be better, even if it uses an LED-based image source.

(ducking from the oncoming tomatoes)
-g
BobH

Post by BobH »

I'm not arguing against large scale and/or outdoor holograms, or even against sun lighting of them. Just crudely pointing out some erroneous statements in the thread, like:
Yes the sun is a great source of light for a hologram. The ultimate "point source."
The ultimate point source is a single frequency laser! :o :shock: :D :D :D And the ultimate source for holograms may be on the immediate horizon. :wink: :wink: :o

I think TJ mentioned a very long time ago the idea to use transmission hologram pixels in a billboard size display, each illuminated from the back (edge-lit?) by LEDs or diode lasers (cheaper now). Probably photopolymer material or maybe an embossed or casting technique. On the other hand, I have two holograms from Zebra Imaging in my collection, a "Budweiser" and a "Coors" beer sign. Both are 24x24" full color photopolymer reflection holograms. I would not want to take them out into the sun for any length of time, as the black backing just expands the image into a warped mess. Imagine Phoenix in the summer time.

Other autostereoscopic techniques I've seen will scale up better though. Tiled LCD panels? Problem there might be difficulty in making something look adequately 3-D from very far away and up closer. :?
germacran

Post by germacran »

so , it is impossible to use hologram films in the sun light
what about silver halide films possible or not ?
BobH

Post by BobH »

I'd recommend cast acrylic or embossed mylar for use in the sun. Maybe write or etch the holographic pattern into a metal surface. Sunlight is pretty powerful stuff! :shock: 8)
germacran

Post by germacran »

can i use acrylic as well as hologram film with laser and developing to create 3d
image , i use acrylic in other options but here i don't know

what about these products which printed in this sites i think that they are a new type of printing and i search some thing new :

http://www.hlhologram.com/
http://www.3dhologram.com.hk/index.html
http://www.hgimage.com/english/index/main.jsp

what is the difference between this printing and our works in billboards , posters ?
what is the advantages of this new type of print ?
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

germacran wrote:thanks alot for information but you don't understand specifically what I need

in this video is what i need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtvAhL1lzOI

is this is very expensive or difficult or what
I saw in this video, there are holograms that use people as the object, is that really possible? thanks
MfA

Post by MfA »

The sun is indeed a terrible lightsource, but in theory it might be tamed. Waveguides which can concentrate sunlight without tracking are in development for solar cells ... depending on how efficient they can get them these might serve as point light sources for transmission holograms (ie. light goes through the hologram into the concentrator, gets coupled to the center where it hits a diffuser to light the hologram).

Hmm, I wonder if someone already patented it :) (Probably, yes.)

PS. Zephyr, yes it can be done with pulsed lasers. More commonly it's done with multiplex holograms using pictures from multiple angles though.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Zephyr wrote:
germacran wrote:thanks alot for information but you don't understand specifically what I need

in this video is what i need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtvAhL1lzOI

is this is very expensive or difficult or what
I saw in this video, there are holograms that use people as the object, is that really possible? thanks
Go to laserreflections.com they do this all the time. I got to visit the studio when it was in San Francisco and I own a couple of their holograms.