I need your help about holographic 3d images

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
germacran

Post by germacran »

Thanks Diode Holographer for information you provide me and to all members , in this post i will explain what i need obviously and in details

I want to use printed hologram films in avdertising field , as a new material with high resolution images, this site encourage me to this idea
http://www.hlhologram.com/
the printed stickers and the hologram film itself as a new thing in my field
if holograms are good for my work i will use it instead of classic posters , billboards in the shops and streets such as this pictures
[][/URL]

["][/URL]

so i have some questions :
about holograms to see if it useful in my field or not :
- what the advantages of holograms , in my work I print image or poster on papers , Flex , panner "this materials used in billboards in the streets" what is the advantages of hologram ?
- is hologram film is obvious in the daylight or it requires dark or night to see the image because
I said that i will use this as posers in the streets exposed to the sun
- regarding as sizes I want the text in any size , one meter or more perhaps 10 meters or more

these are my ideas to improve my field are they possible to execution or not
thanks men
Diode Holographer

Post by Diode Holographer »

Oh, yes. This would most certainly be possible, though it would be quite a task. It would also be possible to make the texts and images float and stand out from the billboard as you have discribed you would like. The Sun is a great source of illumination for many holograms. The only draw backs I can think of to such an idea would be the expense of holographic film and the relatively narrow viewing angle of holograms.

The viewing angle will probably not be any problem at all, considering you can control the angle at which people view it by where you place the billboard. Example, if you place it over peoples heads they will have to look up at it; hence you would record your hologram so that it is properly viewed from below.

The price of holographic film alone is expensive, but I understand that these large signs go for quite a stiff penny anyway; so perhaps that won't be a problem. According to my calculations a one meter by two meter hologram would cost about $350 and a ten meter by ten meter hologram would run roughly $17,000; just for the film. I didn't catch where you are from, so I couldn't convert these values into your currency. On top of the film there is a multitude of steeply priced equipment you'd need aswell.

Film may get cheaper when buying huge amounts of it and I know some people make their own film, so these may be a couple of options for reducing the end cost of such large holograms. There are people on this forum who would be much better suited to answer your questions on this. I just read the other day about one of the members here making a nine meter hologram. Perhaps he may be of more assistance. However, most people don't get on here every day, so you may have to be patient in awaiting a more thurough answer.

It may also be worth mentioning that holograms don't stand up to direct sunlight very well. I honestly can't say just how long it would take for the sun to wear out a hologram beyond the point of usefulness, but I know it wouldn't last as long as a traditional billboard.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
germacran

Post by germacran »

thanks a lot Diode Holographer for this information , I am waiting for any answer from all members about this topic
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

This work has been done and the best way would be to get involved with a holographer with experience in billboard sized holograms and contract with him. You are talking about 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars.
ErichRose

Post by ErichRose »

Yes the sun is a great source of light for a hologram. The ultimate "point source." But the sun moves about and thus the reference angle changes. The image would have to be recorded with multiple reference beams and adjusted to produce the correct view over some selection of angles. Probablymusc easier near the equator where the seasonal change of angle isn't so great. Then there are cloudy days and night.

It may not be all that much easier than the floating images of star wars. But holly cow it's what we all really want to see, isn't it?
BobH

Post by BobH »

I think the sun is a terrible source for illuminating holograms because:
a) its an extended source, which casts fuzzy shadows and severely limits the depth of any image reconstructed by it,
b) its intensity is constantly changing,
c) its a broadband source that includes UV and IR that damages most holograms,
d) its always in motion, with an enormously large range of motion that's the same regardless of where you are on the planet,
e) its average angle of incidence is site specific,
f) the average angle of incidence is very inconvenient for practical reconstruction beam geometry, and
g) its not available for use about two thirds of the time because the earth is in the way or the angle is waaay too low.

Try lighting some holograms in your home using only sunlight. Try making a pictorial hologram that doesn't change colors until it shrivels up and dies after a while in the sun. Take a hologram out to Burning Man and see what happens to it. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the sun! My hobby is watching it with an H-alpha filtered telescope on a heliostat mount I built, which is described in the current issue of Amateur Astronomy magazine. While reasons c through g can be addressed with the same kind of technology I use to observe it, the first two are the real deal killers, and the cost to implement the tracking hardware and filters is going to be big.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Bob, I hate to disagee but even a dim hologram will show up pretty nicely in the sun. I know it's not optimal but the intensity makes any hologram look extreemly bright.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I think with a "dot" machine as Geola is possible to rapid print a poster for this size (?), more or less, would be interesting use first in a close ambient as Metro -subway with a 24Hs constant illummination, however they use silver halide films and another solution would use an optimized CROMA Polygrama film full colour that may be durable under intense light; even the sun.
germacran

Post by germacran »

hi
thanks for information but i have some questions :
- are hologram film colors fade out after exposing the sun light like so ?

"][/URL]

become so
[m"][/URL]
- this means if i want to use hologram films i will use it inside offices, halls , places don't exposed to direct sun light
- what about silver halide films , what about its colors ,fade out or not ?
- what is the difference in colors between hologram film and silver halide film which one is clearly more than the other , is the method of photography in the two films are the same or not ?
BobH

Post by BobH »

Bob, I hate to disagee but even a dim hologram will show up pretty nicely in the sun.
Yes, John, and an audio recording of a whisper will sound pretty nicely through an amplifier set at maximum.
I know it's not optimal but the intensity makes any hologram look extreemly bright.
I agree, and think extremely bright hologram images can be painfull to observe! The range of intensity variation with sunlight is hugh.

I forgot to include source extent variation as one of my reasons. This means that the focus of any image reconstructed with sunlight is constantly subject to changes as haze or clouds drift over. And then there are transits and eclipses by anything that can get between the hologram and the sun. The list keeps growing.