Where to source citric acid?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Howdy all,

When I start imaging again (real soon now!), I plan to try the "Blyth Color Tuning" i.e. citric acid soak ~1/2 hour...

I was told I could likely find citric acid powder in the canning section of my local grocer. Negative. Not there, but that's OK because I am not even certain that food-grade citric acid is of the purity required for silver halide film processing.

Is it? Would commonly-available citric acid powder be of suitable quality?

If I find citric acid powder at a candy-maker shop or somewhere similar, is that the stuff I want?

If not, what specifications should I be looking for in citric acid?

All help appreciated!
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

check your local beer making place or home-brew store as the guy near me carries citric acid. what do they use it for colin?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Mostly it is used in wine and mead making to acidify the product. It is not very common to use. Tartaric acid is prefered by most people. Phosphoric Acid is prefered in brewing for reducing the alkalinity of water which sets the pH of the final product. (Lactic Acid if you are German as it fits into their laws better.)

I keep some around for adjusting the pH of finings but most home brewers don't deal with finings.