Materials that the hologram can be created on

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
MfA

Post by MfA »

You can even use sugar as a photopolymer ... but you need about 8 Joule/cm2 of UV to do it.
WingedOne

Post by WingedOne »

I remember quite a few years ago for Christmas someone in my family gave me a lollipop with a hologram printed on it. The hologram wasn't on the wrapper, but on the lollipop itself.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

I have seen both things,and they are made using patents held by Dimensional Foods. They didn't seem to have a web site when I went 3 Google pages down on a search. Eric Begleiter is the guy in charge. It uses an embossed hologram shim in the mold for the confections. The sugar sparkles were pretty cool, the lollipop I bought had Star Trek stuff on it.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I have a couple of those suckers in aluminized foil packages. I wonder if the images are still on them after, what, 20 years?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

It seems that the patent was directed towards pharmasuitical uses but covers food. That is a good security measure. I did find this on the web:

Eric Begleiter, President
Dimensional Foods Corp.
8 Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Boston, MA 02109
Phone: 617/227-2380

I think they only license the technology.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Ed, to be honest with you I would have thought a shim was used. In fact I poured some plain gelatin on a shim that I have a got a pretty good hologram. But my question is, how did they do that for a reflection hologram on an opaque sucker? Reflection fringes lie parallel to the surface, no way to stamp or mold them. The shim process uses transmission fringes which are perpendicular to the surface and thus can be stamped. Any ideas?
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

It's definitely a transmission fringe system, as they are Benton rainbow type imagery. They aren't eye-boggling bright, because they are used in a non-metalized mode, like the High Refractive Index materials mentioned further up in this thread.

One trick to improve brightness is to have the candy dark-colored for better contrast. The one I had I remember was like Black Cherry Red. But I am not sure for sure, since I do remember it "melting" and making a mess by oozing out of its protective cellophane wrapper. High temperature and humidity Chicago weather I suspect is to blame.

So I wonder what the fate of Bob's lollipop is, if it's in an aluminum foil wrapper?
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Yea, figured as much. So it basiccally looked like the completed resist hologram viewed as a reflection.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Well I just had to look! I have one in a foil package with a label for Intel, and the other is in a plain unmarked foil package. Called "Holopops" (what else :roll: :wall: ), both were made in about '97 by LightVision Confections LLC under license from Dimensional Foods. One is dark blue and melted all over the inner clear wrapper. The other is dark red and intact as a sucker but no hint of a grating anywhere.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Planned obsolescence!

Or is it a feature, not a bug! If the perishable goes over a critical temperature and spoils, then the hologram disappears!