Advice on Equipment

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
holomark

Advice on Equipment

Post by holomark »

Thank you all for the responses. Guess I have to started learning that "the hunt" for equipment is part of the hobby. (Time constraints of work, however, prevent me from enjoying the hunt).
Edmunds has been moved down the list and it looks like I will be purchasing a Coherent 315M.
I'm sure to have more questions and will let you know when I have the new system up and running (sometime in the next couple of months)
Mark
Colin Kaminski

Advice on Equipment

Post by Colin Kaminski »

If you look in the used equipment section here you can get a HeNe in the low 20s mw for about $500. I am now running 658nm at 40 mw, 632nm at 24mw and 532nm at 100mw. I have about $2K invested in lasers.

If you are just getting your feet wet make sure to try a diode laser. The one from Integraf is cheap and gets you some experience before you have to invest so much money.
bernardb

Advice on Equipment

Post by bernardb »

Justin W wrote:Hi Mark

I too will endorse the JDS UNIPHASE Microgreen laser.
As a beginner myself I can attest to its suitability for holographic endeavors. Lasing in green (in this case 532nm) is pretty cool because your default hologram color will be green - which falls right in the center of the visible spectrum. Swelling your film before exposure can shift you toward the blue, and a swell afterwords will move you toward the red. Very versatile IMHO.
Hi Justin,

Just saw this post and have a question for you...I have 2 JDSU Mu Green lasers, new "old" stock...can you please tell me how the heck I can get 'em to fire? I have a 5.0 VDC power supply but cannot figure out which pins I need to jumper or whatever else I need to do to get he laser to actually lase.

The led indicator lights on the power supply behave normally as far as I can tell so there must be some interlocks that need to be bypassed and i am just not able to figure this out. Any info you may have will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Bernard
geso

Advice on Equipment

Post by geso »

Look Here:

http://www.walshcomptech.com/repairfaq/ ... tm#strjuug

Jumper pins 2 and 6 on the DB-15 connector

What model do you have? There are a couple different ones...

-g
rzeheb

Advice on Equipment

Post by rzeheb »

Bernard, a quick question: You mentioned the laser and the power supply but you did not mention a controller. Was that just an oversite?
bernardb

Advice on Equipment

Post by bernardb »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses...

I have these:

JDSU Mu Green Head 4602-010-0485
JDSU Controller 4802-010-0485
(times 2)

The head and pwr supply are matched and still have the "Do not remove" stickers on the cables.

I already jumped (using a piece of bare wire) pins 2 and 6 on the 9-pin connector and upon application of power, all the leds light up, then the yellow goes off, then the second red goes off and finally the first red goes off, leaving just the 2 greens illuminated. During this process the amperage draw goes up to about 4.2 then drops down to and settles at 0.9 amps.

There must be some other jumpers i need to make???

Thanks for any help.

I am gonna take pix and post 'em on my online gallery in a few minutes so you can see what I'm referring to.

Bernard
bernardb

Advice on Equipment

Post by bernardb »

Heres the link to the images online of the one head/controller I am presently trying to get going:
http://gallery.me.com/bernardmac/100378

PS - Sorry I kinda hijacked this thread...if Colin wants to move it that would be fine...

Bern :)
DJ Mathson

Advice on Equipment

Post by DJ Mathson »

I´m also interested in knowing how to get µgreens working. I have similar controllers, but the laser heads are a black version.
geso

Advice on Equipment

Post by geso »

I took a look at the ugreens I have. Instead of the DB-9 having any pins jumpered like stated on the faq's, all mine have a connector plugged into the db-25 and nothing jumpered on the DB-9. I tried taking one of the db-25 connectors apart so I could see which pins are jumpered, but its coated in epoxy. It looks like at least 4-5 sets of pins are jumpered, but I'll have to figure out the connections later. So this seems to be the problem :angel:
I'll try and figure this out before the weekend is over.

-George
geso

Advice on Equipment

Post by geso »

Forgot to add...that mine are the same as Bern's but the 25mw version. I have some others too that use a much smaller controller, but the same style laser head.