ORWO spectral plates

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
holo_cyware

ORWO spectral plates

Post by holo_cyware »

The lines are thin, and look like the fingerprints (they are curved).

The reflection is from the lightsource, I don't have enough skills to take a pic of a hologram yet.
holo_cyware

ORWO spectral plates

Post by holo_cyware »

Ok - just found out: the lines are the "Newton's wood" effect, caused by the lack of Brewster's angle and the angle of the plate to the laser light (something like 60 degrees)
Joe Farina

ORWO spectral plates

Post by Joe Farina »

The "wood" bands will appear in the plane of the emulsion. With mode-hopping, the bands will closely follow the contour of the object. Mode-hopping results in very short coherence lengths; the bands on the object represent areas where it's going in and out of coherence zones. Hard to tell from the photo.
holo_cyware

ORWO spectral plates

Post by holo_cyware »

It's not mode hopping then (and it shouldn't be); the lines are clearly on the surface of the emulsion folowing it in length, and have nothing to do with the objects. I also observed that with different holograms the lines are less visible/not visible, as I the plates were shot on different angles.

On the other hand, a laser with a coherence so short that even a holo of some coins would be "bread sliced" would be rather pathetic. I guess a green pointer could beat that.
Joe Farina

ORWO spectral plates

Post by Joe Farina »

holo_cyware wrote:a laser with a coherence so short that even a holo of some coins would be "bread sliced" would be rather pathetic
It does happen. The lines can be on the order of 1 to 2mm. I've made some myself :|
JohnFP

ORWO spectral plates

Post by JohnFP »

I still think it is polarization and Brewsters problem. It look like woodgrain, not sliced bread because it is evident where there is no object.