Can only view when wet???

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Jem

Post by Jem »

I've been and bought some Xylitol and some citric acid today.

Watch this space :roll:

Cheers

Jem
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Folks

Well, here's a (not very good) picture of what was a very green hologram. I used Citric Acid to swell the emulsion and as you can see it now plays back towards red... I actually wanted yellow :doh:

At this stage my tests weren't very scientific :oops: , I basically put a couple of teaspoonfuls of Citric Acid into a tray with around 250ml of distilled water. I soaked the hologram for approx 1 minute, squeegeed and dried without rinsing. Now I have proven the concept I will keep much more accurate notes so I can have better control over the final colour. Hopefully i'll get yellow/gold next time :wink:

The hologram is a standard Denisyuk type. Sorry about all the reflections as I only had my iPhone camera to hand.

Cheers

Jem
My Buddha Hologram... Was Green, hoped for yellow but got red!
My Buddha Hologram... Was Green, hoped for yellow but got red!
Buddha Hologram.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Excellent!!!
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Very nice, Jem!

You know, if you don't like your final color, you can soak the swell back out in some warm DI. This will return you to your baseline color (or perhaps slightly blue-er), then you can re-swell with a different concentration and perhaps achieve the final color you had originally targeted.

I personally think the red you wound up with is lovely, but if you wanted yellow... Go for it!
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Oh and an additional note....

Are you certain the 'gram is completely dry? Post-swollen emulsion can take a long time to dry, and you may just find that in a day or two, you have a final color that is yellower than you may have realized.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Thanks guys.

Justin, there's no chance of re-treating this hologram as I have sprayed the rear surface with matt black paint :lol:

I'm sure i'll get plenty of practice though as i've just ordered another 20 BB520 plates from colour holographic :wink:

Cheers

Jem