help please, holography graduation project

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
JAJA

Post by JAJA »

hello all ,
I'm interested in holography (just beginner) and i made a lot of search about it and i decided to make my graduation project about holography ,but there is a problem,my project idea is to make a new thing "display 3D objects in the air or at least in volumetric medium ",the problem is i searched a lot about how to make a 3D hologram but i found nothing that can make me sure i can do it ,but i got an idea and i want to be sure if it is possible to be made,what if i can use 2 DMD (digital micromirror device) to make 3D object by rays intersection ?? can i do it ?? I'm not sure !! and i need any one to conform i can do it plzzzzzzzzz.
by the way i read pdf,it was talking about new 3D display system called Cspace and the main idea was about making intersection between 2 projected lights from slice projector and image projector ,i thought it might be the same as i think .
thanks
JAJA
favalora

Post by favalora »

JAJA -

Welcome to the forum.

I mean this comment purely in the spirit of trying to be helpful: when asking for help, please provide some evidence of the research that you've done already, to show that you've put some effort into it.

Yes, you can create 3-D images by intersecting rays of light. However, in order to achieve a contrast ratio that's actually useful, you need to use some nonlinear method. For example, you'd need to make or get a block of a special glass that's been "doped" with rare earth ions, such that two intersecting IR pump beams results in a visible radiative transition.

I guess for starters on this, see my recent paper:
http://www.greggandjenny.com/gregg/Fava ... O_2009.pdf
G. E. Favalora, "Progress in volumetric displays and their applications," for OSA Frontiers in Optics 2009 / Laser Science XXV, Special Symposium: The Future of 3-D Display, Invited Talk (2009)

You might also attempt to re-do the common experiment of putting "hologram data" into a spatial light modulator whose pixels are so tiny that you can exploit diffraction to make a small 3-D image. Your problem, though, will most likely be that the field of view is so small that the user won't actually experience anything three-dimensional.

-g
MfA

Post by MfA »

Nice bibliography, although I missed the hybrid system from UT Southwestern. It uses a DLP based hologram for projection, but they project into a gel rather than directly into view. Not great image quality though and like all volumetric displays using transparent media it can't do occlusions like real holograms and rotating mirror displays can. http://innovation.swmed.edu/inst_dev3d.htm

PS. Jaja, a volumetric display is not a hologram :)
favalora

Post by favalora »

Nice catch. Yeah, my bad - I recall telling myself to include that DMD display, and then forgot.

g