DCG Hologram Emulsion Fabrication Glass and Acetate?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
jag2x

Post by jag2x »

Hi all,

I'm looking to undertake John Pecora's method of Emulsion Fabrication of DCG hologram. http://www.holograms3d.com/MakingHologr ... graphy.htm
http://www.holograms3d.com/MakingHologr ... ograms.htm

I'm going to try using Bleach to clean the glass, I've read that Hydrochloric acid is also a way to go, but that stuff looks extremely potent.

I was wondering if the thickness of the emulsion on the glass is important? Instead of the Veil method and spinning the glass, why not brush on the emulsion on the glass? Eveness will be an issue, though if I did brush on the emulsion, does this work or will only lead to problems?

There is another idea I thought of was to use the emulsion to coat clear acetate, has anyone tried this?

Cheers
jag2x
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

as a beginner i would suggest to use the lean vail method as this will give you the easy method for now and then later on you can get more complex, if you using plain glass just besure its nice and flat by looking at a reflection image and seeing it NOT distorted, clorox bleach will do fine. thickness has a great effect on dcg holography (check holowiki please)i made a video years back showing this method as well as look in the HoloWiki under film coating...hope this helps and good luck. what laser are you using?

Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Everyone seems to have their own way of coating. Yes, the brush method has been documented (exactly one time, in all my reading), with a camel's hair brush as I recall. It's just a variation of the gravity method. The gravity method relies on the gelatin leveling itself out somewhat after spreading on the glass (by Mayer bar, doctor blade, large spring, pouring and tilting, brush, Rallison even mentioned finger painting, etc.). The glass needs to be warm, and leveled with a bubble level. Having said all that, I would just use the veil method like Dave says, and try something else later if you want to.
jag2x

Post by jag2x »

Thanks guys, I might just give the brushing one a go, as it seems quite straight forward. If that doesn't work I'll go the veil method.
With the veil method what is the best way to keep the glass warm?
The laser i'm unsure about, a friend of mine bought the Integraf red laser holo beginner kit, which comes with one. I think the mw is 5 or less?
holo_cyware

Post by holo_cyware »

Unfortunately the red laser won't work for DCG unless specially prepared (just serch for "TMG" in the forums).

DCG is sensitive from UV (mostly) to green (much less, but usable).

If I were you I'd just stck to commercial plates for now, as not only DCG is notoriously difficult to learn, let alone to master, but the laser is quite expensive too. Some people made holograms with green cheap pointers, or even blue ray laser diodes but as the coherence is very low (under 1 cm) the depth of the hologram will be the same. Works for coins* though.

*coins = the standard simple hologram test - rock stable for long exposures with the plate resting on the coins so no need for a holo table, deep enough obtained hologram to blow your socks off if you never made one before, but not impressive enough to knock you off your sit, hence the need for better subjects and a holo table
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

holo_cyware is correct, using a red laser to do dcg is a very difficult task,rather than shooting coins,would be more like shooting a coin , i would suggest going to silver film or getting a nice green laser (shamless self promotion comming up), check the "for sale" section, as there are a number of good coherent green lasers there for sale................

Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

jag2x wrote:With the veil method what is the best way to keep the glass warm?
John taught me that a simple back heating pad works great. Just make sure the glass is clean with some dust off before the emulsion is applied. If there is dust on the plate it will cause pits and you might get emulsional :? :P Sorry for the bad pun but someone has to do it.