Testing PFG-03M Plates

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Skavookie

Testing PFG-03M Plates

Post by Skavookie »

I have a couple boxes of old PFG-03M plates and I don't know if they are still good. Is there some simple way of testing them or do I have to expose and develop them?
Tom B.

Testing PFG-03M Plates

Post by Tom B. »

One problem sometimes noted with old plates is that they may be fogged, i.e. that even when unexposed, they turn black when developed. Try taking a plate out (in darkness) and masking off half of the plate with black tape or whatever, then exposing the plate to light and developing. The masked off section should be clear and the exposed section black. If both are equally black, the plate is fogged, if both are equally clear, the plate is totally insensitive or your developer is no good. If exposed portion is black and the unexposed area is clear then the plate is good, the reverse case would be very strange.

Plates eventually do become insensitive or fogged and methods to partially revive them have been posted here. Post again if you have problems, along with details of developer used etc. Also how old the plates are and how they have been stored.