Looking to start holography - where do I even start?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

I'm looking into Holography (sounds like a fun hobby, based on Don McNair's "How to Make Holograms"). However, I really don't have the room for a 4' by 8' table, nor do I have the money to spend $100+ on equipment.

Any ideas on where I should start? I've never done any holography before, and I don't even understand half the stuff in the book. :shifty:

Oh, and is there much of an interest out there in holography (to where I can sell what I do to make a small bit of money on my hobby)? If so, where should I go to get the best sales for my "soon-to-be" wares? :P

Thanks, and have a nice day.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I would start with the Itegraf kit with glass plates. Don't plan on making any money. Do plan on studying a lot and having spectacular successes and failures.

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I meant Integraf.

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Okay.

Looking on their website, I see 2 kits that fit your description - the "Standard" kit and the "Student" kit.

Ignoring prices, which is the better buy? Where can I get glass plates cheaply (but have them still be good quality)?
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Beta7 wrote: Where can I get glass plates cheaply (but have them still be good quality)?

LOL I want to know where too ............ :lol:
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

I take it that plates aren't cheap, then....... :P

Um, where do most of you go to get good quality plates for a reasonable price? ;)
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Once you have debugged the exposures on commercial plates you can branch into making your own. Until then plates are cheaper in the long run. I get my plates from expired lots on sale.
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Which should I use - plates or film? And what size should I use?

IF I am going to buy Integraf plate/film, plates are quite a bit more expensive (3 times more expensive for not even the same size), and since I would like to at least make back the money I spend, I'd like to go with the cheaper option. But if plates are worth the 3 times extra cost, then I'll get those. :P

Also, which usually sell better - plates or film (I'm going to be doing the smallest size from Integraf of whatever medium I choose, so I dont' expect to sell them for more than $5-10 )?
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Oh, and where/how do I make my own glass plates?
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Beta7 wrote: I would like to at least make back the money I spend, I'd like to go with the cheaper option. But if plates are worth the 3 times extra cost, then I'll get those. :P so I dont' expect to sell them for more than $5-10 )?

you should'nt count your holograms befor they hatch! :D