Looking to start holography - where do I even start?

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
wler

Post by wler »

.. and what shutter do you use? Make sure that you don't touch the table when you remove it, any movement on or even near the table can do very bad. Best is to have the laser on a different table (or an electronic shutter for remote control, for me this was the decisive key factor).
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Oh my, if you object is setting on a rubber mouse pad which is on the sand, I am affraid that is not good. Take Dave's adivice.

Yes Dave, settle is key.

Wler, table movement is a non issue for SBR's. The only movement he needs to be concerned about is object to plate. Unless of course it knocks the table so hard the plate moves with relation to the object.
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

JohnFP wrote:Oh my, if you object is setting on a rubber mouse pad which is on the sand, I am affraid that is not good. Take Dave's adivice.

Yes Dave, settle is key.

Wler, table movement is a non issue for SBR's. The only movement he needs to be concerned about is object to plate. Unless of course it knocks the table so hard the plate moves with relation to the object.
Okay, I will switch to using a hard tile (I think we still have some linoleum ones around the house). Would a couple of bricks side-by-side be good enough (if I can't find any tiles)?

I'm using a Fudge Brownie box (with the dry mix still in there :P) as my "shutter", and I let the table settle for 3-5 minutes after picking the box up (but before letting the laser hit the plate).
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Beta7 wrote: I will switch to using a hard tile (I think we still have some linoleum ones around the house). Would a couple of bricks side-by-side be good enough (if I can't find any tiles)?
ceramic or stone or cement but not linoleum! its not stable enough. if you put two bricks side by side ,will they be stable?

you would be better to use only one?

you have made the investment so far why not invest a few mor$$ and purchase a cheap tile?
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

you have made the investment so far why not invest a few mor$$ and purchase a cheap tile?
Because we're leaving the house in 2 days, won't get back for 10 (going to Florida for vacation :D), and my parents don't feel like going out to the store. :P

I guess now that my dad's home I'll go ask him if he's got anything I can use.

I'll post later tonight (I plan on shooting my 3rd plate tonight) with what I did/how I did them, and hopefully you guys can continue to critique me. :P Thanks for all the help so far!
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

if you use the brick, be sure to set it in the sand now and wait an hour for the brick to thermally equalize, Before you shoot
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

Sorry - did not get a chance to post before going on vacation. :(

The 3rd plate didn't turn out at all. I let the table settle for 1.5 hours after putting the plate on the coins, switched to using a big cement block in the middle of the sand, and cut back on my "dunking" times for the developer and the bleach.

I'm starting to think that maybe holography isn't for me - nothing I do, no matter how "to the letter" I get with following the help you guys gave me, is working. And there isn't even a way for me to know what I'm doing wrong - there are hundreds of variables that could be screwing it all up. :(

Any other ideas on how to get my holograms to turn out/work?
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Beta7

What area do you live?, it may be that there is a forum member who is not too far away from you that you could meet. Please put your location in your profile as a first step.

Secondly, don't get too upset about not having good results to start with. Keep at it, and the sight of your first successful hologram will blow your mind and inspire you to carry on to bigger and more ambitious things.

Cheers

Jem
Beta7

Post by Beta7 »

I live in La Vista, Nebraska (suburb of Omaha).
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

You have not provided an picture of your set up as this may help us to pinpoint your problem........I Too would really hate to see you turn away from holography before you've made a decent hologram first!
i usually have my skype channel open and you may contact me for some direct answers to your questions @ davebatt1