holography medium

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
oneill

holography medium

Post by oneill »

Hello, I want to ask, if hologram can be made on medium such as normal black-and-white photographic film or photographic paper. I supose, that normal film or paper hasn't as big quality as holographic plates or films, but on the other hand I saw instructions how to do a holographic plate at home and I think at home you can't do as quality as in factory. That is I don't want to spend hundrets of dolars for buying holografic plates, if I don't know, if it would work.
Thank you
jean

holography medium

Post by jean »

Sorry, following my experience, you're wrong.
You can achieve high quality holographic recording material at home. You just need to be careful when dealing with dust, bubbles in gel, cleanness of glass plates, quality of chemical.
What you can't do is dealing with high quantity self-production.
It's true with Silver-halide, DCG and even photopolymer recording material.
Cristiano_Perrucci

holography medium

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

jean wrote:Sorry, following my experience, you're wrong.
You can achieve high quality holographic recording material at home. You just need to be careful when dealing with dust, bubbles in gel, cleanness of glass plates, quality of chemical.
What you can't do is dealing with high quantity self-production.
It's true with Silver-halide, DCG and even photopolymer recording material.

That's true, here all holograms are made with homebrew holographic materials:

http://digilander.libero.it/crispers/

Before buying bulks of chemicals, I suggest to start with MBDCGs using the original Jeff's formula or the ones published on the holowiki.
oneill

holography medium

Post by oneill »

Thank you for replies, I will probably try the DCG method. So you think, that normal film would not work? Do you know where to buy the ammonium or potassium dichromate? I will probably ask my friend, who is interested in chemistry, if he could find some.
jnhong

holography medium

Post by jnhong »

For good quality holographic plates, there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars/euros. There are plenty of fine quality holographic plates available on the web and just above the page here is Integraf who will even give you a 5% discount. What are you planning to do exactly? Shoot high quality holograms or get experience in making your own plates?

It is possible to create holograms with regular black & white film. More precisely, it is possible to record a restricted set of holograms with regular photographic film. You'll want to use scientific grade black & white film, or at minimum, slide film for max resolution. If you have access to microfiche or microfilm that would work also. The images you can record will be restricted to near-flat objects and reconstruction will show many artifacts, but nonetheless the reconstruction method is the same: use a copy of the reference beam, or a conjugate of the reference beam, and the image will appear in its original or conjugate plane.

If that's not what you had in mind, standard holographic plates are in good supply.

Joseph
Cristiano_Perrucci

holography medium

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

jnhong wrote: Shoot high quality holograms or get experience in making your own plates?
In my opinion I've never seen high quality holograms like the ones made using Jeff's MBDCG formula.
jnhong

holography medium

Post by jnhong »

Cristiano_Perrucci wrote: In my opinion I've never seen high quality holograms like the ones made using Jeff's MBDCG formula.
Did you mean to say Jeff's MBDCG produces very high quality holograms? (Sorry, I've read the statement multiple times but it still wasn't clear to me.)

That may be so, but the original poster was asking about black & white photographic film. So I'm still not sure what the poser (of the question) really wanted to do. Use black and white film to experiment? Learn basic holography? Save cash? Make his own plates? Ultimately produce very high quality holograms? Clearly this is a person with very little holo experience, not a lot of knowledge of the whole process, and completely unaware of the expensive mess he's about to step in. I'm not sure that discussing DCG is the correct direction without clearer understanding of his goals.

In my experience, trying to save $$$ and doing quality holography are not very compatible goals either.

This should be my two cents, but I'm saving them to buy more holo gear ...... :)
Joseph
rainman

holography medium

Post by rainman »

I have been out of holography for more than a decade and now jumping back in.
Agfa was the only thing I could use back then.
So making it looks like a better method, but for just proof of concept and getting started, whats the best commercial plates to try, until I get my setuo stable and ready to make my own plates?

Great stuff by the way!
Colin Kaminski

holography medium

Post by Colin Kaminski »

If you search the internet you will find methods for making transmision holograms on Poloroid film but the resolution is only about 700 lpm (from memory).