Another newbie here :)

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
blue_electric_71

Post by blue_electric_71 »

Hi, i'm Gilbert from the Netherlands. This is my first post here on the board so i thought I'd introduce myself
I'm work as a motion graphics designer for television but have always been fascinated by holography..and today i received my first integraf standard holo kit. So i'm very excited about making my own holograms...finally!
And i'm quite determined doing just that. I've been shopping around the last two day, driving all over town and back, gathering some materials for setting up an isolation table in the basement . I got particle board, patio blocks and used inner tubes sandwiched with some carpet. ..I must say that was quite an adventure in itself getting all the i needed stuff... :wall:

So right now i have my rather crude isolation table set up in my basement storage but there's an awful lot of dust on the concrete floor. I guess dust can compromise the result significantly..but it just doesn't seem to go away no matter what i do..so i think maybe i'll put some carpet on the floor as well.

With any luck i will be having my first results in a couple of hours from now...it's rather late, but i have come this far..and i ain't stoppin' now.! :dance: . i don't expect any miracles the first couple of times..but i will share the results on the board. And i'm sure I'll be posting some questions later on.

Anyway, I'm really excited about my new found hobby haha..and it's also really nice being away from the computer for a change, getting my hands dirty (literally)
cheers,
Gilbert
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

welcome Gilbert and i wish you the best of luck with your new hobby, we are always here to help when possible.........

let us know how it goes!
holo_cyware

Post by holo_cyware »

Welcom to the forum;

About your dust issue: the easiest way to get rid of it would be either to vacuum clean it, but it sounds like you have lots of dust there. The other solution is to prepare a mix of oil and woodchips (like those sold in the stores for rodents), so the woodchips get sticky, to spread these woodchips onto the floor and swep them. This mixture will gather most of the dust if not all. And it's eco friendly :)
blue_electric_71

Thanks for the reply. It think i will put some carpet on the floor since i think that would be the best solution. Maybe it's best to keep the table in contact with the concrete floor and carpet around it..
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Gilbert and welcome to the forum.

Is the Intergraf kit you got the one with the photopolymer laminated on to glass plates (the ones that don't need any developing or processing)? If so, don't underestimate the exposure time needed to get an image on these, especially if you have a low powered laser. It's quite difficult to overexpose these plates so it's always better to err on the side of caution and go for longer exposures.

Hope it works for you and you manage to get some decent holograms.

Cheers

Jem
blue_electric_71

Hi Jem! Thanks for the advise. I got the jd-4 processing kit, so i guess i can use the recommended exposure time.

I posted another topic about using distilled versus demineralized water..Since it's quite hard to find and very expensive in holland someone suggested the demineralized water would suffice when it comes to rinsing. But can i also use it for mixing the chemicals in the jd-4 kit?
Thanks
rzeheb

Post by rzeheb »

Yes, you can use it the same way you would use distilled water. I use de-ionized water for making up my chemicals as well as for rinsing. I started out using JD4 from Integraf, now I use Kodak D19, but all worked well (both developers and reversal bleaches).
blue_electric_71

Thanks rzeheb, i feel more confident now...I did some tests last night and they turned out quite sharp but very very dim..But i'm off to the basement again :D
Maybe i should increase development time from 10sec to a minute..