What type of Holographic equipment do i need in an open spac

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Mariem Fayed

Post by Mariem Fayed »

Hey all, im new to holography.
I have a question, I am an architecture student and in my graduation project i wanted to make an outdoor plaza (25 m x 19 m) that displayed 3d animated holograms of famous people, what type of equipment do i need, and what is the space required for the 3d display+ do i need back storage or equipment rooms?
I tried to search but i didnt find anything, im completely NEW to this and i dont really understand the process and equipment needed (there are alot of stuff and i dont know what is suitable), if u can send me a diagram or something to explain the best type i can use in my project i willbe VERY thankful

Thanks alot,
Mariem
jnhong

Post by jnhong »

As a student of architecture, your proper course of action is to study previous designs and installations, analyzing them in the framework of human functions and activities as discussed in your classes. Your best approach will be to find an existing piazza or park or mall that uses similar displays and equipment. The only place I've seen myself is the airport in Austin TX which has a very wide holographic display constructed by Zebra Imaging. The hologram is situated high above the baggage claim area and best observed while taking the escalator down from the gates. It is a permanent display so there's no storage necessary and the lighting is integrated into the building.

There are several other companies who offer public display type holograms but I have no links at the moment. You'll have to go search for them. I believe most of them advertise their technologies in white papers so it is very possible for you to analyze the hardware requirements from there. I am pretty sure these companies will also brag about their existing installations, so that's the best place for you to do your initial analyses. (NB Grammar police: analyses is a plural form, ok?)

Yes, I realize I'm not giving you the diagrams and equipment list you asked for. But I come from a family of architects, engineers, and teachers (of both) so we'd always want the student to learn through their own work. Once you've located candidate technologies and equipment, this forum will be a great place to discuss each one's merits and drawbacks. That discussion will be great information for you to defend your project choices.

Good luck,
Joe
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Start by contacting Laser Reflections. They have done more portraits than anyone. You will likely choose to light them from the front. Holograms are sensitive to UV so you will need to find a way to block UV from the space.